[Vision2020] Standing Up is Not Bigotry

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Sep 5 18:55:46 PDT 2005

>From today's (September 5, 2005) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a special
thanks to Joe Campbell.

Standing up is not bigotry

I agree with Curt Parsons (Letters to the Editor, Aug. 26) on one thing. The
act of vandalism committed against New Saint Andrews - the words "Hitler
Youth" were written in chalk on a door outside NSA on the first day of fall
classes - was disgusting and should not be tolerated in our community.
However, I disagree with Parsons on some other points. Parsons claims that
he "would be ashamed to be associated with" the "anti-New Saint Andrews
College vocalists," those involved in "transparent and bigoted actions with
regard to the current zoning controversy."

Though I am a critic of NSA, I do not consider myself to be "anti-NSA." Some
of my students and friends are associated with either NSA or Christ Church
and I respect them and their right to congregate with whomever they see fit.

Furthermore, the zoning controversy has little to do with bigoted actions
and more to do with equal treatment under the law. NSA is in violation of
zoning laws. If we allow them conditional use of the downtown area, then we
should - for reasons of fairness - allow UI the same conditional use. But we
can't allow UI conditional use, for they will take over the downtown area.
Thus, we can't allow NSA conditional use. NSA is not asking for equal
treatment, they are asking for special treatment. Standing up against this
is not bigotry. It is democracy in action.

Lastly, it is absurd to suggest that there is some causal connection between
criticisms of NSA and the recent vandalism. If someone were to read your
letter, Parsons, and feel compelled to write "Liberal Activist" in chalk on
my porch, would that be your fault? Hardly. You are not responsible for the
actions of idiots who misunderstand your words and neither are the critics
of NSA/Christ Church.

Joe Campbell, Moscow

Thank you, Joe.  Very well stated.

It really is just that simple.  If you violate the law, you are wrong.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

Special not to His Whineyness - Just because your are paranoid doesn't mean
that they AREN'T after you.

"I think one of the best ways to support education is to make successful
private schools like Logos prosper through tax exemption."

- Donovan Arnold (July 11, 2005)