@WL Re: $SPAM+++++++++ Re: [Vision2020] Of Deltas and CO2

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sun Sep 4 22:32:37 PDT 2005

Exactly! - You get it.

LA is a predominantly democratic state.   Can you
imagine what would happen if the Feds (a
Republican administration) used their resources
and authority to take control of the martial law
activities, law enforcement, etc. in LA.  No,
those decisions rest with elected state
officials.  The governor controls the National
Guard.  US military are not permitted to act as
police officers on US soil.  It would take an act
of Congress (and probably a constitutional
amendment) to allow that.  As many security
experts reported today, it does appear that there
was little or no command and control at the state or local level.

The fact is that the Feds appear to have done
what they could prior to the storm to position
resources, etc. - in accord with FEMA and
Homeland Security protocols.  As to why the LA
National Guard was not mobilized prior to the
storm is not clear (at least from the sources I
am researching).  As to why there was such a
delay in requesting assistance by state officials
is also unclear - but no doubt that will receive
a lot of attention in the coming days.  I am sure
that pundits on both sides of the partisan lines
will be frothing at the mouth to point their
fingers and shake their fists.  Typical non-accountability will prevail.