@SPAM+++++++++ Re: [Vision2020] Of Deltas and CO2

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:13:27 PDT 2005

> **

To all --

Please excuse this, my first violation (I believe) of the three-post-per-day
rule, but I have an inflamed bile duct caused (I'm told) by the deaths of
thousands of fellow Americans. This is page 43 from the National Response
Plan, the set of protocols distributed to local, state, and federal
emergency response agencies that instruct them about who takes
responsibility in the event of a catastrophe, like, for instance, a giant
hurricane hitting New Orleans. It should make quite clear to Jeff and Pat
with whom the buck should stop:

Quote begins:

*"A catastrophic event could result in sustained national impacts over a
prolonged period of time, almost immediately exceeds resources normally
available to State, local, tribal, and private-sector authorities in the
impacted area, and significantly interrupts governmental operations and
emergency services to such an extent that national security could be
threatened. All catastrophic events are Incidents of National Significance.*

*Implementation of Proactive Federal Response Protocols*

*Protocols for proactive Federal response are most likely to be implemented
for catastrophic events involving chemical, biological, radiological,
nuclear, or high-yield explosive weapons of mass destruction, or large
magnitude earthquakes or other natural or technological disasters in or near
heavily populated areas."*

*[...]*

*"Guiding principles for proactive Federal response include the following:"*

*[...]**

**"Standard procedures regarding requests for assistance may be expedited
or, under extreme circumstances, suspended in the immediate aftermath of an
event of catastrophic magnitude."*

*"Identified Federal response resources will deploy and begin necessary
operations as required to commence life-safety activities."*

*"Notification and full coordination with States will occur, but the
coordination process must not delay or impede the rapid deployment and use
of critical resources. States are urged to notify and coordinate with local
governments regarding a proactive Federal response."*
In other words, FEMA has not only agreed to take primary responsibility for
emergency management, but communicated to state and local agencies that it
will indeed coordinate emergency response. Much to their surprise, the
crippled feds apparently couldn't coordinate their way out of a paper bag.

-- ACS