[Vision2020] Of Deltas and CO2

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 21:02:17 PDT 2005

On 9/3/05, Pat Kraut <pkraut at moscow.com> wrote:

> I disagree! Someone in Louisiana should have told her! Why does everyone
> want to make the Fed responsible for everything?? When did they take over?
> The locals could have done whole rescue operation if they had paid
> attention. There is a picture circulating showing the school buses all
> under
> water. The mayor could have confiscated them and sent those people out of
> town by force. But, he keeps yelling about the feds not coming in time! He
> is just hoping no one asks him too many questions.\

 Pat --
 It is the federal government's responsibility, like it or not, to do
disaster relief. You can argue about whether or not it should be their
responsibility later, but the fact is, at the time of Hurricane Katrina, it
was FEMA's responsibility to handle the evacuation planning and then pick up
the pieces.
 George W. had put a chronic fuck-up in charge of FEMA who was fired from
his last job for malfeasance, dismantled their planning office as it
transitioned to the Department of Homeland Security, sent the Louisiana
National Guard to search for phantom WMDs in Iraq, cut all disaster
mitigation funding to the /entire state/ of Louisiana, and defunded the
levees. It is at his desk that the buck stops, but he and his stand-ins are
doing their best to blame everybody else: the victims, the first responders,
the police, the looters. Thisis a failure of management at the highest
levels: food was dropped in Banda Aceh, Indonesia, within /two days/ of the
tsunami. Food got to New Orleans, LA, /today/, or six days after the
hurricane. We are a first-world nation. This should not be happening here.
 If I had done this in my work, I would have had my ass canned, and then I
would have been sued, and for God's sake, they would have been right to do
it, too. This administration has abdicated any pretense of taking
responsibility for its
 -- ACS