[Vision2020] Yet Do I Marvel !

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Sep 3 08:12:53 PDT 2005

The ongoing insistence on the part of Kirkers that the "moles" in their
midst are mere cowards, creeps, and cancers dismays me, and I join those of
you who have wondered aloud why on earth a heaven-bound church would need
private congregational emails, much less why some folks therein would feel
compelled to secretly leak them to outsiders.

Any group that large, of course, has people in it who disagree with its
leadership; when that group is a church, however, they shouldn't feel the
need to do so in fear.  They either speak their peace -- and leave or stay,
or they keep quiet -- and leave or stay.  What I've never seen in 24 years
of church involvement is the phenomena of "keep quiet, stay, and send up
flares from the bunkers to get the attention of someone on the outside."

I have left every church I've ever attended, except for the one I'm at now
(the sheer simplicity of that truth requires a "duh!", but bear with me . .
. ).  Sometimes I've left because Jeff and I couldn't countenance bad
doctrine or pastoral misconduct; more often, we've left because we moved.
We've been as open for the reasons in the former as for the latter, because
painful as it might have been, we knew we had to, and our spiritual,
economic, and social well-being wasn't tied up in any one congregation.  No
group of people should have that kind of power, and no believer should ever
feel held hostage by it.

Freedom in Christ, yes.  Fetters in church, no.  I'm glad I worship a God
who set the captives free, even if they often again find themselves in
captivity.

I, too, love the works of Countee Cullen, and dedicate this poem to those
League of the South members with their fawning affection for the social
order and hierarchy of position:

"She even thinks that up in Heaven
Her class lies late and snores
While poor Black cherubs rise at 7