[Vision2020] RE: scorecard questions for moscow candidates for mayor and city council

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Mon Oct 31 13:36:26 PST 2005

Aaron, et al friends:
Just so you don't get trapped in the future.  The high school is a
permitted use because it was a use of right at the time the zone was
changed.  In other words, it is a legally-permitted non-conforming
use.  Although some would say the city allowed high schools by right
when it rezoned the property, others would say that General Business
(the applicable zoning to the HS) does not permit high schools.
Either way it doesn't matter. Rather than try to solve that legal
issue, you are happy to point out that the high school was a legal
use when the rezone was made, and it therefore continues to be a
legal use today.

It's a nuance, but I don't want anyone making points at your expense--
and I think the short answer you gave is best--saving complicated
explanations for follow up.

Mike