[Vision2020] scorecard questions for moscow candidates for mayor and city council

aaron ament citizenament at moscow.com
Mon Oct 31 13:17:31 PST 2005

Questions

1. Do you support the 44-acre Sports Complex that the City of Moscow is planning on putting in on Palouse River Drive adjacent to the Arboretum?

    Not as proposed.

      2.  Do you support extending 3rd Street through to Mountain View?

    I believe a motor vehicle bridge connecting Third Street with Mountain View would be a bad idea.

3.  Do you believe that Moscow High School should be allowed to remain in its current location?

    Moscow High School is a permitted use in its current location.

4.  Do you believe that the Moscow Alternative School should be allowed to remain in its current location?

    Schools should not be allowed by right in any zone, but should be considered on a case by case basis and be allowed only by a Conditional Use Permit, as the Planning and Zoning Commission has suggested to the Moscow City Council.

      5.  Do you believe the Food Coop should be allowed to move into its new location?

        The Moscow Food Co-op is a permitted use in its current location.

6.  Do you believe that New Saint Andrews should be allowed to remain downtown in its current location?

    City Code states that the Central Business District is a place for retail; professional; personal service businesses and public gathering places.  Commercial schools are allowed in the CBD by virtue of their retail component.  Rather than relaxing the code, Commercial Schools should be required to get a Conditional Use Permit to insure that they have a retail component.

7.  Do you believe that Atlas School should be allowed to remain in its current location?

    See answer to no. 6.

8.  Counties throughout Idaho allow tax-exempt organizations to apportion property square footage according to taxable and tax-exempt uses.  Latah County Commissioners refuse to allow apportionment.  Do you support our County Commissioners decision?
    City Council does not have a voice in tax decisions decided by the County Commissioners and I will not interfere with their process or jurisdiction.

9.  Do you believe that the leadership and/or members of Christ Church and related institutions are racist?

    I do not know all the leadership and members of Christ Church.  I am not sure I know all its related institutions.  Therefore I cannot answer this question.  I do believe that Doug Wilson's co-authorship of a tract that essentially says slavery was good for the slaves is racist as I understand the term.

10.  Do you believe the recent legal complaints filed against NSA, Christ Church, Atlas School, and Logos School are intended to target a particular person or religious ideology?

     I have no knowledge of the motivations of those who filed the complaints.

11.  Do you believe public officials should allow the complaint process to be manipulated for personal or ideological reasons?

    Unlike many other levels of government, the City Council functions in legislative, executive and quasi-judicial capacities at different times.  The ideology that motivates a particular request is seldom a proper inquiry or decision making basis for our City Council.

12.  Do you believe that the Vision 20/20 e-mail forum is a good reflection on the City of Moscow?

    I am not sure I understand this question; therefore, I cannot answer it.

    Aaron Ament
    Candidate for the two year term on Moscow City Council