[Vision2020] Not On The Palouse, Not Ever (Update #66)

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Fri Oct 28 14:41:44 PDT 2005

Greetings Visionaires -

Not On The Palouse, Not Ever (Update #66) consists of:

How other memebers of the community have a sense of humor
and they are not all NSA/Christ Church students.

http://www.tomandrodna.com/notonthepalouse

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Not On The Palouse, Not Ever

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of
others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of
hope."

Robert F. Kennedy
(1925-1968, American Attorney General, Senator)

Moscow police: Spoof e-mail broke no laws
Written by By Brian Rich -Argonaut
Friday, 28 October 2005

No law was broken in the sending of a fake e-mail to 28,000 University of Idaho accounts, officials from the
Moscow Police Department said. No law was broken in the sending of a fake e-mail to 28,000 University of Idaho
accounts, officials from the Moscow Police Department said. The e-mail, purporting to be from UI President Tim
White, was a tongue-in-cheek response to White's Oct. 4 letter stating Intelligent Design will not be taught as science
at UI.

While no crime has been committed, UI Information Technology Services officials said university policy was broken.
"Certainly university policy has been broken, and we've talked to two people of interest," said Chuck Lanham,
associate director of ITS. UI technicians concluded the e-mail was sent by an Adelphia IP address, and two students
thought responsible were questioned by ITS and members of administration.

The university determined the two students weren't involved, but their Internet connection, which broadcast an
unsecured wireless signal, had been used by another unknown person to send the e-mail.

UI Dean of Students Bruce Pitman said it is unfortunate the sender of the e-mail cannot be found and punished.

"I think that if we were able to discover who did it, and if we were able to determine that it had occurred on campus,
then the punishment would have been quite severe," he said.

Lanham said the problem of unsecured signals can be common in populated areas. "Anybody off the street can go sit
in the parking lot, log in to your network and send an e-mail from your connection," he said.

Because of the way the e-mail was sent, the university has given up on finding the individual. Lanham said new
policies are being written to prevent future violations on campus, but off-campus connections are impossible to
monitor.

"We're working on policy to prohibit something like this from happening on campus," Lanham said. "How people
have their off-campus Internet connection set up is not under the jurisdiction of the university."

Pitman said the policy would guarantee harsh penalties for anyone sending fake correspondence from campus
connections. "The university judicial system has sanctioned that it could include suspension and expulsion," he said. "I
can't say with certainty that . would have been the outcome, but certainly we would have been pursuing this with
that outcome." Moscow police said technicians concluded there was no evidence any UI computer system was
compromised or illegally used to send the e-mail, though how the individual got the 28,000 e-mail addresses is still
uncertain. Lanham said the university cannot track off-campus Internet activity, which leaves many questions
unanswered. "We can't dictate what people do or don't do in their residencies around Moscow," Lanham said.

The only thing off-campus students can do to help, he said, is use an encryption for wireless signals so random people
can't use them to access the Internet. "If you have a wireless access point in your apartment or house, take
appropriate measures to make sure someone can't unknowingly use your bandwidth," he said. Pitman said he is
disappointed Idaho laws aren't keeping up with technology. "It was a serious act that could have had even greater
negative consequences than it did, and it probably is an illustration of how changes in technology have perhaps
changed more quickly than Idaho law."
Look What The New Netscape.com Can Do!
Now you can preview dozens of stories and have the ones you select delivered to you without ever leaving the Top Home Page. And the new Tool Box gives you one click access to local Movie times, Maps, White Pages and more.  See for yourself at http://netcenter.netscape.com/netcenter/