[Vision2020] Third Street Jam (was LMT Article)

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Thu Oct 27 12:07:51 PDT 2005

Dick,
The trails that run along the Parks Highway from Anchorage north to Denali
N.P. consist of a short section of the Iditarod trail, the Talkeetna trail
(also known as the Kesugi ridge trail), connecting trails constructed by the
Mat-Su borough between Wasilla and Houston, and finally the Capital trail,
built as part of  Willow's attempt to have the capital moved there.  It is
possible to walk, bike, mush, and/or snow machine from downtown Anchorage to
Healy (just north of Denali N.P.) on trails.  From Healy north to the Nenana
Bridge the trail system is located on the shoulder of the Parks Highway.  On
the north side of the Nenana Bridge to Fairbanks there are various trails
and closed sections of the old highway that again allow you to stay away
from the highway.  Once in the Fairbanks region there are trials that lead
to Circle, to the White Mountains, to Canada (the Yukon Quest trail - which
I hiked and biked part of this summer with a friend from Seattle), to Chena
Hot Springs, and finally south east towards Delta Junction and the Alaska
Highway.  The state is putting a lot of money into new trails since many
tourists are now taking the summer to walk or bike through the state instead
of sitting on buses.  Within the next few years a dedicated paved/gravel
trail system will run from Healy to Fairbanks and then south east to Valdez
- part of which will be a 100 mile loop system around Fairbanks that I am
currently putting the funding package together for.
The National Park Service and BLM are also working on new trails in the
Wrangle-St. Elias N.P., the Copper River valley (using the "Million Dollar
Bridge" just north of Cordova, trails along the Denali Highway (which
basically connects Wrangle N.P. and Denali) and finally a trail system north
from Fairbanks to Gates of the Arctic N.P./Preserve (which will connect
through the White Mtn. N.R.A, the Yukon Flats National Wildlife Refuge, and
run along side the western boundary of ANWR).
Most of these trails are parallel to ancient Native Alaskan trails that date
back to the ice age.
That is the long answer, (had to thrown the long answer out to hopefully
entice V2020 readers to take a nice long vacation in Alaska - got to do my
job!)

 The short answer is - yes, Anchorage and Fairbanks will be connected within
five years by a dedicated trail system.

Chris