[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (October 21, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 21 05:31:49 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (October 21, 2005) UI Friday Letter from
UI President White.

Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Oct. 21, 2005

Dear Friends,

Tonight we honor a wonderful group of University of Idaho alumni and friends
for their generosity to the University. The University Gala allows us to
shine the spotlight on donors whose gifts have made such a tremendous
difference in guiding us to our vision as one of the nation's top flagship,
student-centered, research extensive universities.

Our donors are responsible for providing the millions of dollars in
scholarships the University awards to students each year.

They also provide critical support for new facilities and equipment.
The renovation of the University Classroom Center into the Teaching-Learning
Center could not have happened without private support. Other projects, such
as the new dance floor in the Dance Studio and a cabin to house researchers
and classes at the Taylor Ranch Wilderness Field Station, have made an
impact on the educational experience at the University of Idaho.

So much of what we do outside the classroom, from the Lionel Hampton
International Jazz Festival to the Bellwood Lecture Series to athletics, is
built on a foundation of private support.

On behalf of the entire University, I extend our deepest gratitude.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

The two finalists for the position of Vice President of Finance and
Administration are Randal Haack, vice chancellor for business and finance at
University of Nebraska at Kearney, and Nancy J. Dunn, a strategic planner
and consultant from Poolesville, Md., who formerly served as the vice
president for finance and administration for World Wildlife Fund-U.S., and
was former vice president for finance and administration at Radcliffe
College. The candidates interview statewide Oct. 19-29. Resumes and
interview schedules are available at
www.president.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pid=84241.

The College of Engineering dean finalists interview at U of I locations
across the state Oct. 18-28. The three finalists are:
Erling Smith, head of civil and environmental engineering at the University
of Connecticut; Kenneth Williamson, head of civil, construction and
environmental engineering at Oregon State University; and Aicha Elshabini,
head of electrical and computer engineering at the University of Arkansas.
Resumes and interview schedules are available at
www.provost.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pid=86250.

Northwest Indian tribes will gather in a showcase of color and culture for
the 2005 Tutxinmepu Pow Wow Oct. 28-29 at the University of Idaho. The
annual event, sponsored by the Native American Student Association, will be
held in the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center. The event is free and open to the
public. The grand entry of intertribal dancers begins Friday, Oct. 28 at 7
p.m. followed by honor dances and royalty contests until midnight. Grand
entry will be held the following day at noon and 7 p.m.

There will be a new look to the Friday Letter next week. We are upgrading to
an HTML format. For more information about these items, please contact
University Communications and Marketing at
(208) 885-6291 or uinews at uidaho.edu.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy