[Vision2020] proposed ball fields/sports-complex across fromarboretum

berven at moscow.com berven at moscow.com
Tue Oct 18 11:03:24 PDT 2005

Hi Mark,

The website http://www.savethearboretum.org/ lists many of the
concerns people have concerning the impact a sports-complex
would have on the arboretum.

The concerns are based on the content of the proposed plan that
includes night lighting for the ball-fields, a PA system and crowd
noise. (the current plan calls for accommodating up to 1000
spectators (I think) at a time).

Because of the geography of the location, any noise and light from
the sports-complex will have a direct shot up the little valley that the
arboretum is in, very  much reducing the peaceful environment
people who use the arboretum have come to love and expect.
(There's a picture on the savethearboretum website showing the
line of sight of the valley to the sports-comlex proposed location.)

I have also heard other issues concerning the project, i.e. where we
would find the water for the fields, costs of upgrading Palouse River
drive, inaccessibility to kids on bikes or on foot (it is not very central
and is over the hill from the University).

>From what I have gathered, there is not necessarily a dislike for ball
parks. The conflict is over the scale of the complex. A park that was
a combination community park/play fields park that had only a
couple/few ball-fields/soccer fields and no lights or PA system
instead of what is currently proposed (4 ball-fields plus 3 soccer
fields, with the PA system and lights and concession stands) would
almost certainly be welcomed.

The issue as I see it is a matter of scale. We don't want to put in
sports-complex in at the expense of loosing the character of the
arboretum.

Chris