[Vision2020] Eugenie Scott's Talk at U of I

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sun Oct 16 21:56:14 PDT 2005

Michael et. al.

Michael wrote on 10/14/05

With amazing regularity across cultures and time, man is a deeply religious
being, a worshiping being, having the experience of the ‘numinous.’ Even in
the earliest Hindu texts we find a Creator God varuna, faithful to His Covenant,
giving grace to his worshipers.   All of this is in fact the Classical
Christian view, and it seems somewhat immune to this particular argument of yours.

This discussion was inspired on Vision2020, I think it is fair to state, by
the current ongoing cultural/political/religous/scientific/epistemplogical (how
about that for holism?) debate regarding what theories about Intelligent
Design and/or Creationism are appropriate, if any, to be taught as "science" in a
science classroom, is it not?  Eugenie Scott's talk at the U of I was arranged
no doubt in part because of this current debate in courtrooms and in the
media, etc.

My position is that all "coherent" theories that illuminate this discussion,
whether minority theories or not, or from other cultures or religious
traditions or not, should be considered.  A statement like this leads to endless
complexity, it appears.  I should not be surprised.

Perhaps it would be wise to stick to a focused debate about whether
Intelligent Design and/or Creationism are "scientific theories" and if so, what
theories among all the possible on this subject should then be included in a science
classroom?  Once philosophers wade into the deep, deep stormy waters of
speculative theology, the Mariana Trench looks like the safe sparkling cheery kiddie
wading pool in summertime backyards, and the discussion becomes like the
atmosphere of Jupiter, heavier and heavier as you go deeper and deeper, with an
elusive, hard to pinpoint solid surface:  and avoid the Red Spot, a hurricane of
sorts that can swallow two Earths that has been viewed staring out angrily
from Jupiter for hundreds of years.

Now, to answer Metzler, and make a few other points:

It seems in your comment on top above you are asserting I was making an
argument I was not making in my response to your referencing of Plantinga.  If it
can be shown that the "Classical Christian view" on Intelligent
Design/Creationism is a "scientific" view, it deserves consideration in a science classroom,
along with any other views on this subject that have the appropriate merit as
"scientific" theories.  Thus if it can be shown that a cyclical view of
Creation, perhaps the never ending explosion/expansion/collapse/explosion cycle
advocated by some cosmologists, deserves scientific merit in a science classroom,
a view that eliminates the view that the universe must have been "created,"
then it should also be included.

Science does have evidence illuminating the origin and fate of our universe:
Big Bang origin, the debate between gravity leading to an eventual collapse
vs. endless expansion, and now Super String Theory, which some question as to
its inclusion in "science" because of (guess what?) problems with empirical
verification, the same problem many speculative religious theories about the
creation of the universe and human beings also face.  The problem for Intelligent
Design/Creationism theory is to find a testable reproducible empirical method
of data gathering and/or experimentation that can be presented in a science
classroom as "science" based on a theory that also passes logical/mathematical
analysis for coherence with itself and other established theories of science.  I
see no a priori reason that at some point in time such a project might not be
possible.  But is it possible now?  Of course those who believe in the theory
of Intelligent Design stating that "aliens from another planet came to Earth
and genetically engineered human intelligence millions of years ago" could
have their theory supported if we found a spacecraft buried on Earth.  Now that
would throw the world into a tizzy!

My point, rephrased, is that if we are going to discuss with an open mind all
the options that are tenable relating to "science" for Intelligent Design
and/or Creationism in science classrooms, then all tenable religious/spiritual
views or other sorts of views (aliens genetically engineering of human
intelligence: the Raelians) on this subject should be presented and debated for their
"scientific" merit.

I think the claim that we should limit our options regarding what theories
may have scientific merit, that renders them suitable for science classrooms,
for Intelligent Design/Creationism, a "suspicious" suggestion, not appropriate
for the investigation of the truth without preconceived biases antithetical to
the scientific method.

To say the alternatives are "atheism or evolution" might make a great sound
bite, and fire up the faithful, but it is a false dilemma.  The Catholic Church
accepts evolution, along with a creator God who designed the universe.
Indeed, though I do not know all the details of the exact "official" Catholic view,
an all powerful God could have made the Earth five billion or so years ago in
the creation of the Solar System, knowing the God created processes of
scientifically understandable material evolution would generate human beings as we
know them from simpler life forms, beings that God then has endowed and/or will
endow with an eternal soul from a "spiritual realm," ruled by ethics and laws
God established, both for the "material" Earth and the "spirit" realm.

You altered the terms of some aspects of this discussion away from your
original statement that I first responded to.  Your original statement was:

As someone like Alvin Plantinga would point out however, another option would
be to see belief in God as properly basic: something immediately produced ‘
because’ of the ‘evidence’ presented to the senses of the complexity and beauty
of the world, but not discursively ‘based upon’ propositional evidence
derived from such experience
------------

In your statement above, "propositional evidence" is not included as the
basis for this "belief in God as properly basic."  If someone is using
"propositional evidence" to arrive at a specific belief in God, they are utilizing a
process that you excluded in your presentation of Plantinga's views, which is what
I responded to.

Then, when you responded to my objections to Plantinga's views (as you
paraphrased his views, it seemed), you wrote:

You are correct; if there was a properly functioning belief producing
mechanism (undamaged) in each and every human being that triggered the belief in an
Almighty Creator upon the ‘evidence’ of the beauty and grandeur of ‘creation,’
 then each and every human being would be a monotheist.   But of course, we
know this is not true.   But the fact that there is therefore no such belief
forming mechanism is not the only alternative.  We could propose a highly
damaged belief producing mechanism: one that sometimes hardly works at all, or at
other times even when it does work, it is so weak and faulty that self-deceptive
mechanisms take over and the belief in an Almighty Creator is suppressed
(e.g. “but it would be best if the Almighty didn't exist so that I could sleep
with Sally tonight”).
---------------------------

What you wrote above is analyzing belief in God including "self deceptive
mechanisms" and "belief producing mechanisms" that may involve "propositional
evidence" it seems you were excluding from your original statement that I found
objectionable.  I responded to that original statement by pointing out the
empirical fact that belief in a monotheistic creator God is not, as you phrased
it, "properly basic: something immediately produced ‘because’ of the ‘evidence’
 presented to the senses..." given the millions of people who believe quite
differently.

Of course it could be argued, as it appears you do, that perhaps belief in a
monotheistic creator God is "basic" in all human beings, and those who believe
otherwise have a "damaged belief producing mechanism."  But now we enter the
realm of abnormal/pathological psychology and/or neurology: Are you willing to
make a scientific claim (rather than declaring it a possibly valid theory,
without presenting empirical evidence based on an established theory of mental
pathology that supports this theory, for the self fulfilling purposes of
supporting a speculative religious theory, however dressed up the theory may be in
formal philosophical terms, arguments and references that give the appearance
of logical and/or factual legitimacy) that everyone who believes in a cyclical
universe with no creator, with the spirit realm ruled by a Goddess, has a
"damaged belief producing mechanism?"
--------------------------

Regarding any argument I might have made referencing the "statistics of
belief," I am not quite sure what you mean.  The facts I presented are facts
regarding what human beings believe: some believe in a monotheistic creator God,
others believe in a cyclical universe without a God creator of this universe,
others in a wide variety of other views.  I do not hinge the exploration of truth
on the number of people who believe a given theory, or what theory is more
appealing or popular, as you appeared to do in this comment: "Scott mentioned
the existence of other religious proposals, but there is nothing wrong with a
broad cultural debate limiting the ‘alternatives’ to those which are far more
appealing or probable to the majority of people."

Consider that many of the developments in modern science are so complex and
esoteric almost no one understands them or "believes" in them, indeed, they do
not know what the theories actually state to decide if they believe in them or
not!  How many people could explain what binary code is, for example, to writ
e the number 100 in binary code?  I suspect most people who use computers
(millions of people) could not at this moment do this, and many of them would not
know what "binary code" is, yet because studying and understanding binary code
is rare or boring or unappealing, does not render the mathematics of binary
code as it is applied to computers a scientific consideration that should be
excluded from investigations on relevant issues.

I made no comment on the ultimate truth value of the various beliefs on
Intelligent Design/Creationism, nor whether God implants these beliefs or not, nor
whether they originate from a damaged belief producing mechanism or not, nor
from imperfect senses or not, nor from the intervention of "spirits" or
"aliens" from some other realm or planet or not, nor from aggressive cult-like
brainwashing from the moment speech originates in an impressionable human child
whose brain is still developing, or not.  I did suggest that these beliefs are
learned from the social environment as an explanation for their origin, rather
than from any "innate" faculty that is similar in all human beings, that will
favor one theory over others, but this is a complex issue I will not explore
now.

To comment again on the "damaged belief producing mechanisms" argument, the
internal psychological/brain states of those who assert a theory on Intelligent
Design/Creationism are not essentially critical to my point.  A theory about
the world that later turns out to be valid can originate in a confused state
of despair, when the mind/brain of the theorizer possesses a belief producing
mechanism that may be damaged.  This confused state of despair does not
automatically render the theory false.

It is examination of the theory by numerous other people on the basis of
logic/mathematics and empirical testing/testing reproducibility, and an ongoing
process of continuing this examination of the theory, that decides the matter,
at least as far as "science" is concerned.  I'm certain I could find a large
number of fervent believers in a monotheistic God creator who could be tested by
the empirical methods of psychology to reveal they exhibit some form of a
"damaged belief producing mechanism," but this does not prove their belief in the
monotheistic creator God to be false.

All scientific theories, however well established, may face "falsification,"
to quote Karl Popper.  Science thus never reveals Absolute Truth, despite the
numerous verifications in fact that may support a given theory, or the
logical/mathematical elegance and coherence of any theory.  A new set of facts may
disprove a theory, and there is no absolute proof available that it is
impossible the "laws" of the universe will not change under our feet.

And finally, Metzler wrote:

I think you would need to give some further reasons for supposing that man’s
traditional religious beliefs are political/ideological rather than a sincere
embrace of what is considered as ‘true.'
----------------------

You are reading into what I wrote content I did not write.  I do not doubt
that those who believe in an all powerful monotheistic creator God of the
universe express a "sincere embrace" of this view.  Nor do I doubt that those who
believe in a cyclical universe with a "Goddess" reining over the spiritual realm
also express a similarly "sincere embrace."

This is what I wrote that you objected to:

That such an obvious and simple alternative is not considered, along with
numerous other religious and spiritual beliefs of human beings regarding how they
view "Creation," reveals how biased this discussion is toward a specific
religious ideology seeking to find a rational and/or empirical basis for its
existence:  in other words, this is a political/ideological power struggle, not a
search for the truth considering with an open mind all the possible
alternatives.
------------------

What I mean is that there are elements of the social/political forces at play
in the USA attempting to promote Intelligent Design/Creationism being taught
in science classrooms in the context of specific interpretations of the
Christian Religion that block having the discussion broadened to include all
theories that impact this subject.

What would we expect?  The USA is mostly a nation of Christians, not Hindu's
or Buddhists or Wiccan's, who may have very different views than Christian's
on Intelligent Design/Creationism.  But I trust you are not going to say that
the science classroom should be a place where we teach one religion's views
over another's, when evidence and reason suggests that a variety of religious
views on Intelligent Design/Creationism are possibly true?

Once a group wishes to use the public educational system to promote their
religious views, no doubt sincerely held, over other religious views, this effort
to my mind enters the realm of "political/ideological" power struggle.

We could debate in what terms to define this struggle, but to suggest the
effort by many sincere Christians to include their religious beliefs in the
public schools in science classrooms is in no sense a "political/ideological power
struggle" with those who sometimes are defined rather poorly as "secular
humanists," is a stretch, though I am sure there is a way to argue against my
point.

Some of those promoting Intelligent Design/Creationism in USA science
classrooms explicitly state that they are opposing the "agenda" of "secular
humanism," which they view as a "stealth" form of "religion," undermining their firmly
held religious beliefs, when science classes promote the idea of natural
evolution of the human species over time from much more simple life forms, with no
intervention by a God.

Ted Moffett