[Vision2020] Challenge to the candidates: What's up with Weber &Lambert?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Oct 15 22:19:05 PDT 2005

Donovan, in discussing how candidates for public office should interact with
questioners, insists:  "Some questions are not worth answering and some
should not be asked . . . "

This attitude would have bothered me even if I weren't an elected public
official, and yet, a mere six months after the Moscow School District bond
issue, I'm reminded of the hours and hours I spent  on Vision 2020 answering
questions posed to me.  I'm pretty sure most of you remember that time and
haven't missed my gazillion posts on security fencing and flood levels,
meeting minutes and community demographics.

That was a rough time for me, personally and politically.  I think I would
not be out of line if I pointed out that some of the questions, as well as
some of the questioners, were less than reasonable and respectful.  Some of
them were downright nasty, and I took some hits.  But so what?  That's what
you sign up for when you decide to serve in a public position.  If you can't
answer questions respectfully, even when the motivation behind them isn't
respectful -- even when it's pretty much a harangue and a rant from someone
thoroughly disagreeable -- then you really ought to stay out of the fray.
One person may ask a question, in good faith or bad, but hundreds of other
folks have the same concerns, and they ALL deserve an answer.  I don't think
that it was up to me to decide if anybody in particular was "worthy" of the
time it took for me to explain something,  especially if I'm in elected
office and asking for their support on an issue.  My time is valuable, yeah
-- but explaining and defending a bond proposal as a school board trustee
struck me as a pretty important way to spend it.  You should expect that
from candidates and those already serving.  I do.

Obviously there are exceptions -- "none of your business"-type personal
questions and specific comments on issues on which I have to vote or where
there's a possible conflict of interest are two -- but over all, I'm going
to come down on the side of openness and accountability.  It seems, given
our dialogue this spring, more than a little ironic that Donovan and I
should disagree on that one, but there you have it.

keely emerine mix