[Vision2020] candidate debate

Bill London london at moscow.com
Sat Oct 15 16:39:59 PDT 2005

For years, the candidate forums for Moscow elections have been as useful and meaningful as beauty pageants.

The candidates parade in, are allowed one or two minutes to offer virtually identical speeches about our quality of life and planning for growth and attracting high-wage jobs.  A few carefully-controlled questions later, everybody goes home, and the voters have learned very little about the candidates' priorities and values.

This year, it looks like we will actually have a real debate.  The Daily News is sponsoring a forum that will provide the time for candidate questioning and interaction.  We will really be able to assess the candidates.  My thanks to the Daily News for making this possible.

The Daily News forum is scheduled for Thursday, Oct 20 at the Kenworthy. 6pm for the council candidates for 2 year term, 7pm for mayor candidates, and 9pm for council candidates for 4 year term.