[Vision2020] War Service Roll Call

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 14 18:35:20 PDT 2005

>From today's (October 14, 2005) UI Argonaut with a special thanks to Eric
Branson.

Supporting our troops and bravery, associated with those that put themselves
in harm's way, is NOT limited to those who sit on the right side of the
aisle.

War service roll call

Dear Editor,

Brett Walter seems to believe that talking about supporting the troops is
true bravery ("Liberals don't admire bravery," Oct. 11), but let's take a
look at who has served and who hasn't. Who has: Sen. Tom Daschle, former
Sen. Bob Kerry, Sen. John Kerry, Sen. Daniel Inouye (received Medal Of
Honor), Rep. Charles Rangel, Former Sen. Max Cleland, Sen. Ted Kennedy, Sen.
Tom Harkin, Sen. Jack Reed, Sen. Fritz Hollings, Sen. Leonard Boswell (two
Distinguished Flying Crosses), Rep. Mike Thompson, and former presidential
candidate Wesley Clark, all Democrats. For the Republicans we have Sen. John
McCain - though the Rove machine smeared him for serving - Sen. Bob Dole,
Sen. Chuck Hagel, Rep. Duke Cunningham, Colin Powell, Rep. Wayne Gilcrest.
Now how about the prominent voices for the current war that didn't serve:
Vice President Dick Cheney, disgraced former House Majority Leader Tom
DeLay, House Majority Whip Roy Blunt, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist,
Former Senate Majority Leader Sen. Rick Santorum, Attorney General John
Ashcroft, Karl Rove, Bill O'Reilly, Paul Wolfowitz, Sean Hannity and of
course our president, who served four of the six years he signed up for in
the Texas National Guard. These lists are not complete, but they do seem to
point to liberals serving their country and some Republicans calling for
service they've never done themselves. It is good to know that Ted Kennedy
is one of Brett Walter's heroes.

Eric Branson
senior, theatre and film

Thank you, Eric Branson, and . . .

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
SFC, US Army (Retired)

Vote on November 8th because you care . . .

For our kids
For our neighborhoods
For our town

VOTE AARON AMENT FOR CITY COUNCIL