[Vision2020] The Eternal Soul

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 16:01:25 PDT 2005

On 10/14/05, Michael <metzler at moscow.com> wrote:

> But onto the more interesting quest:  I just don't think you have any
> options that are going to be satisfying for you from everything I've found
> out there, which includes some deeper reading in the philosophy of Mind. The
> first question is 'What position is there to even find evidence for?'
> You've got nirvana, the good 'ol standard materialism of Lucretius, the
> Indian absorption into the one, the 'your name lives after you when you die'
> of the greeks, or the more common platonic assumptions about the ethereal
> soul.  But you want to still be You and still live on forever.  A common
> human desire; although more common is a Better You, still You but an
> Incorruptible You. I'd be interested to hear from someone else on the
> matter—if there really are some better alternatives open for us.  I feel the
> same way you do, which is one reason I'm fascinated with the philosophy of
> Mind.  But I believe my body resurrects into the same body after death,  yet
> a glorified body, in the pattern of the historical accounts of Jesus'
> resurrection.  So I've got the easy religious way out; but I'm not sure what
> you think about a religious option.

Your last sentences surprise me.  From "But I believe my body
resurrects" onwards.  If you have the religious belief that this is
so, then why would you need any further explanation?  Why would you
compartmentalize religious and philosophical belief?  For me, if the
two aren't 100% reconciled, then one of them is broken.   As for a
religious option being a possible avenue for me, I'm sad to say that
the answer is no.  It would be easier if it were possible, but I
regard the religious options as cheating, a sort of special pleading
with myself, and I don't permit myself any exceptions.  I don't know
why; it's almost as if I'm constitutionally incapable.  Note that I'm
not making any judgement of your beliefs, merely stating the
limitations of my own case.

Actually, on reflection (and re-reading the above paragraph), I
overstate my inability to accept a religious perspective.  Replace
"religious" with "Christ-centric" and it would be more accurate.
Other religions, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc., might have an answer which
is more amenable to my biases, but I have not discovered this to be
true in my explorations thus far.

Thank you for the fascinating dialogue.  I hope that it continues.

Cheers,

Chas