[Vision2020] Eugenie Scott's Talk at U of I

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:39:58 PDT 2005

You folks have invoked the name of Alvin Plantinga several times in
this (quite interesting) discussion.  Not attempting to hijack the
subject, but do any of you have thoughts on his Christian apologist
peer, Richard Swinburne?

Swinburne seems to argue that God is contingent.  By this, I think he
means that the existence of God is axiomatic.  He also writes in
defense of a surviving personal identity, i.e, a 'soul" which
continues as a discrete, unchanging entity after physical death.

It is his latter contention which intrigues me.  I want to believe
that some part of me survives death, and not in the humanist sense, in
that my constituent atoms survive.  I want this surviving part to be
the same "me" that exists now.  I don't believe this, finding no
personally persuasive evidence which would make this belief possible,
but that is what I am seeking.  If you have read Swinburne, does he
attempt to provide this, and, if so, does he manage it, in at least a
partially satisfying manner?