[Vision2020] Re: Eugenie Scott's Talk at U of I

Joseph Campbell josephc at wsu.edu
Fri Oct 14 10:11:36 PDT 2005

Great posts, Michael and Ted! The debate between you two reminds me of an
internal dialogue that has been running through my head for the last 10
years or so. (This isn't the only such internal dialogue, mind you!)

Currently my views are closer in line with Michael's but for most of that
time they were closer to Ted's. Ted's points are precisely what make me like
the Hume/Wittgenstein way of cashing out basic beliefs rather than
Plantinga's. Plantinga's way appears to be an attempt by him to lend
"support" to his own fundamentalist Christian views. Hume and Wittgenstein
allow for more flexibility.

Consider a non-theistic example. Someone like Plantinga might argue that we
have a basic belief in material objects that have a mind-independent
existence. Hume, though, suggests that we have a basic belief in SOMETHING
that has a mind-independent existence. Thus, the content of Hume's basic
beliefs are more minimal than those of Plantinga's. Plantinga has the
problem of explaining how it is that some folks end up being idealists and
denying the existence of MATERIAL objects. Hume has no such problem, for
even idealists believe that some things exist independent of the existence
of particular minds. There is a similar core to all of our beliefs. This
allows us to solve some philosophical problems but not others. We can
respond to the skeptic but no particular philosophical or religious view
wins out over the others.

In light of the diversity of religious and non-religious beliefs, Plantinga
is forced to suggest something like what Michael suggests, e.g., that we (or
some of us) are built with "a highly damaged belief producing mechanism: one
that sometimes hardly works at all, or at other times even when it does
work, it is so weak and faulty that self-deceptive mechanisms." Some people
just get it wrong. I don't find this to be a very satisfying response. To me
it is not so much a response to skepticism as it is a defense of dogmatism.

Hume, on the other hand, allows that our basic beliefs -- even on
'religious' matters -- may be very minimal. We all think that there is
something that accounts for the order and systemization of the universe.
(Some) atheists and agnostics suppose that it is the universe itself,
together with the laws of nature, that accounts for this order and
systemization. (Some) theists suppose that it is a transcendent God. There
are other views, too: pantheism, polytheism, etc.

We spend most of our lives discussing the differences between our beliefs
and looking for some way to find a foothold that allows us to put our
personal beliefs over those of others. Hume and Wittgenstein allow us to
admit that, despite their diversity, there is a great deal that our beliefs
have in common. They suggest that it might be more fruitful to try to
uncover what that is. What are the baseline beliefs that we all share?
Whatever that is it must be very minimal indeed but it is the locus of our
common humanity.

Joe Campbell