[Vision2020] Re: Reply to Campbell & Book Recommendation

Joseph Campbell josephc at wsu.edu
Fri Oct 14 10:11:29 PDT 2005

Thanks, Ted!

I misunderstood your original posting. Certainly below you are not confusing
necessary and sufficient conditions, as I suggested previously. Sorry for
the faulty charge!

Your point is (and probably was) that, say, evolution theory might contain
propositions that an individual would be unwilling to accept because it
³contradict(s) their cherished assumptions or beliefs.² That doesn¹t mean
that evolution theory is not a scientific theory.

Good point!

What I should have said (and meant) was that if someone ACCEPTS a thesis and
that thesis contains propositions that he or she is unwilling (not just
unable!) to reject, no matter what empirical evidence comes his or her way,
then it is not a scientific thesis.

My attempt here is to suggest that what distinguishes genuine scientific
theses from others is that they are grounded in, and amenable to, empirical
evidence. Of course this is true of other theses, too, which is why I offer
it as a necessary condition (if something fails to satisfy the condition it
is not science) not a sufficient one (if something satisfies the condition
it is science). Moreover it is weaker than a logical positivist view of
science, which holds that science is nothing but the logical consequence of
empirical evidence. That view is too strong.

With regard to Moore¹s book, I¹m only familiar with the chapter on free
will, which is one of the most influential pieces of philosophy that I have
ever read. Note that there are many philosophy books on both lists on the
website that you sent me, but they are very different philosophy books!

Joe Campbell