[Vision2020] proposed ball fields/sports-complex across from arboretum

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Thu Oct 13 15:47:23 PDT 2005

Ben:
I greatly respect you, your family, and your opinion on this matter.
And, I have no dog in this fight.  I agree we need fields and we need
them soon, and the proposed location might be the best available.  i
do respectfully disagree in a couple of regards with what you say,
and because your opinion carries weight, would ask you to consider
the following.

You said:  "if we don't move ahead with the
current playfields proposal, it will be years before we reach this
point again."  There are, however, no facts given, nor any that are
obvious to me, that makes the statement true.  What I do remember
from working on the Joseph Street playfields committee and others
around town is that by this time of year, there will be no work done
on playfields until spring.  That gives the community several months
to discuss not only the details of the Palouse River Drive proposed
project, but whether there are viable alternative locations.

Many people are not opposed to locating ball fields at the proposed
site, but are opposed to the lights,  the size of the parking
facility, water usage, the plans for what they consider to be a
megaplex that operates nights and weekends to the significant
detriment of area neighborhoods as well as to the arboretum, and
other potentially detrimental aspects of the plan.  I don't know much
about those complaints, but I think the community has time to listen
to them, consider whether they are significant, and if so, determine
ways to mitigate their impact or, if appropriate, find an
alternative.  it is also appropriate to consider your opinion that
the safety of the children is at stake if we don't move quickly.  It
is certainly possible to begin constuction of fields on P R Drive
while still discussing the ultimate scope of the project or
alternative locations for additional fields.

In short, it seems to me there is time to come together, listen, and
reason our way toward a solution that helps our childre--at less, or
even no expense to our neighbors.  While some may choose to line up
and say "hell no" while others should back "hell yes," there is room
for others to reason together.  I hope that you will participate in
the latter process.

Thank you for your consideration.

Mike Curley