[Vision2020] Religious Liberty

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Oct 10 15:53:06 PDT 2005

You asked for enlightened Visionaries, but until you find someone, I'll
offer a comment:

I think that the example you used is, in its obviousness, a good point --
some ideas, as measured against any reasonable standard, are foolish or
dangerous or unproductive.  Excreta not being a part of my meditations, I
would have to agree that such would not be enlightening or productive to me,
and perhaps even be dangerous.  However, I applaud your right to have me be
able to freely express my beliefs, odd though they may be to you.

On the other hand, if there's a reasonable, collective social standard
embraced by all world religions and most non-believers in any faith, it
would be that deliberately harming someone in the expression of another's
religious belief is wrong.  I would call it sin, some would call it cruel,
others would call it unloving -- but we would all agree it's wrong.  So,
then, if an 8-year-old girl is raised in a village in which the male elders
believe that her sexual organs and her expression of her sexuality is
inherently dangerous and evil, they will feel justified in abducting her,
holding her down, and performing female sexual mutilation to rid themselves
and her of the "dangers" of her sexuality.  Now, I can argue vehemently in
favor of the God-given beauty of women, bodies, sexual expression and
tolerance, but my first job is to rescue the girl and condemn the
perpetrators.  I could not side with the ultra-religious of that sect in
saying that all is good if offered to a god, nor could I side with the
relatavistic atheist who argues that while it's wrong to him (funny, it
always seems to be a "him"), it's not uniformally wrong, evil, or
impermissable in certain cultures.  I could only conclude that it's wrong,
period, and violates a standard that I believe emanates from a Holy God,
even if others believe that the standard I see comes only from an
enlightened social consensus.

The former might make me a zealot to some; the latter is fascinating coffee
house conversation.  But put into practice, they keep "the least of these"
safe in the face of abuse, and speak truth to the powers who would abuse
them.   Surely that's not only an irrefutable good, but a belief that should
be held to be inviolate.

Pun:  "Don't violate" is an inviolate belief.

That's it for now.

keely emerine mix