[Vision2020] Poll on Idahostatesman.com

Joseph Campbell josephc at wsu.edu
Mon Oct 10 12:45:17 PDT 2005

You are totally missing the point on this, Pat.

President White DID NOT say that there could not be an open discussion on
the evolution/intelligent design debate in UI classrooms. He didn't even
restrict such debate to classes other than science classes. He merely said
that intelligent design cannot be TAUGHT in UI science classrooms AS A
SCIENCE because he (apparently) thinks that it is NOT A SCIENCE. This is a
judgment that White has made and I think it is a very good one, for
intelligent design smuggles in propositions that proponents of the thesis
are unwilling to reject, independent of empirical evidence to the contrary
(e.g., that the universe was created by an intelligent being).

There is room -- given White's decision -- to talk about intelligent design
in other classes. There is also room to talk about issues surrounding the
evolution/intelligent design debate even in science classes -- if the
instructor so wishes. What one cannot do is pass off intelligent design as a
science because, according to White, it is not a SCIENCE.

So if there are any criticisms of White they should start with reasons for
thinking that the thesis of intelligent design is a SCIENTIFIC THESIS, as
opposed to a religious or philosophical thesis. As a person that teaches
Philosophy of Science, I know that determining what is and what is not a
scientific thesis is a tricky matter, indeed.

Thus, I'm interested to know, why do you and Donovan and Doug and whomever
think that intelligent design IS a scientific thesis? What distinguishes
such theses from non-scientific theses? Also, why do you and Donovan and
Doug and whomever think that intelligent design has to be classified as a
science or taught in a science class in order for it to be important? As a
philosopher, I certainly believe that there is a lot of important stuff
worth discussion and contemplation that is not and should not be taught in
science classes.

Joe Campbell