[Vision2020] Kansas's Clyde Tombaugh Discovered Pluto, 1930!

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Wed Oct 5 13:42:29 PDT 2005

All:

I should not poke fun at Clyde Tombaugh regarding Pluto's data, when in my
appears he was not merely a data gathering drone, but the discoverer of Pluto in
1930, a fact the data I presented implied, but did not make perfectly clear,
at least to my silly little mind...

My sincerest apologies to the State of Kansas, the local Lions Club, Burdett
American Legion, and Burdett High School, Kansas:

Bette Jo Roberts, Sen. Kassebaum's representative, noted that the state motto
is "To the Stars through Difficulties."

Dr. Tombaugh's research, she said, "did take him to the stars through
difficulty."  "Dr. Tombaugh," she added, turning to the grinning scientist, "you
truly represent the spirit of Kansas."

Then it was Dr. Tombaugh's turn. He stole the show as he rightfully should
since it was the day his home town chose to honor him for a lifetime of study,
research and discovery that began on the family farm northwest of Burdett.

http://www.kansas.net/~crgraham/burdett.htm

http://skyways.lib.ks.us/history/tombaugh.html

"The more I know the less I know I know."  --Ted Moffett