[Vision2020] (Fwd) [Presidentsleadership] Letter from President White

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Tue Oct 4 10:24:01 PDT 2005

Office of the President

Administration Building Room 105

P.O. Box 443151

Moscow, ID  83844-3151

(208) 885-6365

October 4, 2005

Letter to the University of Idaho Faculty, Staff and Students:

Because of recent national media attention to the issue, I write to
articulate the University of Idaho's position with respect to
evolution: This is the only curriculum that is appropriate to be
taught in our bio-physical sciences.  As an academic scientific
community and a research extensive land-grant institution, we affirm
scientific principles that are testable and anchored in evidence.

At the University of Idaho, teaching of views that differ from
evolution may occur in faculty-approved curricula in religion,
sociology, philosophy, political science or similar courses.  However,
teaching of such views is inappropriate in our life, earth, and
physical science courses or curricula.

The University respects the rights of individuals to their personal
religious and philosophical beliefs, including those persons who may
hold and advocate a faith-based view that differs from evolution.

The University of Idaho's position is consistent with views
articulated by the National Academy of Sciences, the American
Association for the Advancement of Science, and more than 60 other
scientific and educational societies.

Timothy P. White, Ph.D.

President, University of Idaho

Leslee Yaryan