[Vision2020] Re: Not a city resident (Donovan Arnold)

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 18:34:54 PDT 2005

Mr. Joe,

Had you bothered to read my previous 800 emails on
this subject with Ted, you would have seen that I had
said I fully supported each person's right to freedom
of speech.

So I will clarify my statement for the professor;

"If the parent does not live in the city, the parent
does not have a LEGAL say in how the city operates
insofar as the city is legally operating within the
confines of the country, state, and federal law."

I do not want people outside Moscow determining city
code. That is the way the law is now, and that is the
way I like it.

You wrote,  "Doesn't it follow that no one has a right
to criticize a jurisdiction unless they live in that
jurisdiction?"

Everyone has a right to criticize New Orleans
government Joe. But you do no have a right to vote for
city policy or to vote for those that establish it,
unless you become a resident of that city. Nor should
you be going to city council meetings and saying that
you are a concerned citizen of the community demanding
changes to the city code and personally attacking
local leaders because they take an opposite view from
you, a non-resident. That is dishonest.

"As Mr. Donovan has pointed out, most public schools
fall under the jurisdiction of the state. Unless we
live in that state, we can't be critical of its
schools."

You seem to confuse the terms, "be critical", with the
term "the right to participate". Joe, they are not
synonyms. They might mean the same to you, but not to
people that participate.

Second, I am not a conservative. I vomit when the
federal leaders of this nation speak and implement
their policies. You, and several other far leftists in
this town seem to believe that people are either in
agreement with you far lefts liberal elitists or in
agreement with Doug Wilson and George Bush. A quick
reality political reality check will show that most
people fall somewhere in the vast spectrum of
political belief just as far from you as from Doug
Wilson.

Finally, Mr. Haymen also confuses criticize with
participate.

"You perhaps left something out of your response. Only
if one voted on a federal level could one criticize
thusly. And, of course, avoid other countries
altogether."

The United States does not have the ethical right to
establish the religious, governmental, and the
economic structures of another country. We do have the
right to criticize them.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold

Mr. Arnold says, "if the parent does not live in the
city, the parent
does
not have a say in how the city operates and
functions."

Doesn't it follow that no one has a right to criticize
a jurisdiction
unless they live in that jurisdiction? Thus, anyone
from Moscow
criticizing the city of New Orleans or the state of
Louisiana for the
way
that they handled things after Katrina was wrong to do
so. It is fine
criticize the federal government but we can't
criticize New Orleans or
Louisiana since none of us live there.

And it would seem that neither Doug Wilson nor anyone
else has the
right
to criticize public schools in general. As Mr. Donovan
has pointed out,
most public schools fall under the jurisdiction of the
state. Unless we
live in that state, we can't be critical of its
schools.

So where were you, Mr. Arnold, when your conservative
friends were
voicing
their opinions about topics over which, according to
your principles,
they
had no right to speak?

For the record, I live in Moscow and I am happy to
have Rose and Joan
and
Melynda share their opinions about the town. And not
just because I
tend
to agree with them. What we need is more discourse
about Moscow, not
less
of it. We should be grateful to get any feedback that
we get, whether
we
agree with it or not.

One more thing, Mr. Arnold. Could you please tell me
where I might find
the footnotes to the First Amendment, the ones
detailing the
restrictions
to free speech and criticism of governmental agencies
that you
articulate
below? So far I seem to have missed them.

Joe Campbell