[Vision2020] Doug and Doug

Kirkus Circus kirkus_circus at lycos.com
Sat Oct 1 14:47:43 PDT 2005

Dear Doug,

Indeed it is a sad thing when one is caught upon the horns of his own words - and our community is doubtless ever grateful for your pointing it out. Alas, a sadder day yet, when he who is called to a higher standard (e.g., a pastor in the service of the Lord) falls victim to same - applying the self-same moral code more strictly to other than to himself. And to watch the self justifying that ensues (http://dougwils.com/index.asp?Action=Anchor&CategoryID=1&BlogID=1101) - a pity indeed.

So my boy, let this little passage serve as a reminder - alleged hypocrasy in others does little to remove the logs from our own eyes.

The following passage was posted by one "Chris Maland" (likely a false name) back in late May. Nonetheless, the content is just a relevant today as in May, for one reason - Doug is still justifying himself.

Enough prelude, here is the passage.
----------------------------
In light of the recent zoning complaints filed at the behest of your Pastor
(Douglas Wilson) by his subordinates, it is worth considering Wilson’s
recent statements concerning the ethics of taking legal actions for mere
illustrative purposes.

Within the last month (on Wednesday, April 25, 2005, at 1:30 in the
afternoon) Wilson, met with the Board of Latah County Commissioner (BOCC) to
discuss the alleged selective enforcement of property tax laws. For
confirmation of this fact, click this link:

http://66.102.7.104/customq=cache:qpVt9jZjnu8J:www.latah.id.us/Dept/BOCC/2005/04_25_05_Agenda.pdf+%22Doug+Wilson%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Wilson highlights the similarity he sees between the zoning and the
tax-exemption issues, on his monoblog post of May  24, 2005 (caps are mine):

“
given the current ruling, the zoning code is now free to be used as a
weapon by citizens who only want to be Puritans for one day, and only for
one building, only for one church, and only for one church’s people. And oh,
by the way, THE SAME GOES FOR PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION.”

An abridged version of the relevant portion of the discussion between Wilson
and the BOCC is transcripted below:

Doug:
Our adversaries have been overt about what they want to do. They want
to run us out of town. And they are using every device that they can get
their hands on to do that. And so, whatever you do, I would implore you to
do it consistently and across the board. That means, if—

Commissioner #1: I’m sure that’s our goal.

Commissioner #2:
I struggled very hard to follow the law, and what was
right and equal. And so, I certainly am not going to change my position as
far as equality and religious freedom and all those things that we all have
access to.

Doug: I appreciate that, but we’re a year later and there are two entities
that have had the tax-exempt removed and those are our two. And the next two
that are on the docket are two more that I sit on the board of. And there is
no action that has been taken concerning any other tax-exmept entity in
Moscow. AND I’M NOT GOING TO FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST ALL THE ENTITIES
BECAUSE WHAT’S BEEN TO US, I BELIEVE IS UNJUST. SO, I’M CERTAINLY NOT GOING
TO ILLUSTRATE THE INJUSTICE OF IT BY FILING A SIMILAR COMPLAINT AGAINST THE
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH ACROSS THE STREET. I’M NOT GOING TO DO THAT

Commissioner #1: Well, I appreciate that. And I know, if somebody protested
any other tax-exempt organization, I would treat it the same as I have this
here, except that, unfortunately right now, you’re the only one that has
been protested.

Doug: That’s exactly the point. AND WE’RE NOT GOING TO FILE COMPLAINTS
AGAINST THESE OTHERS BECAUSE IT WOULD BE WRONG TO DO SO. I would just like
you to be aware of what’s going on in the bigger picture. There’s a reason
why we’re the only entities coming before you. There is a reason for that.
And it’s a publicly documented reason. So

Commissioner #1: Ok.

Doug: Thank you, Gentlemen.