[Vision2020] Wal-Mart and the health care burden

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Fri Nov 25 15:06:22 PST 2005

>When was the last time Jeff Harkins had to worry about a burdensome
>co-pay or a massive deductible that rendered his health insurance
>essentially worthless?  For that matter, when was the last time I
>had to worry about such things?

I recall stating that my concern was the lack of benefits for
part-time employees and retired UI employees.  As an addendum, I do
have some questions about whether the UI decision to "self-insure"
rather than subscribe to a medical plan offered by a health insurer
(e.g., Blue Cross) was a wise decision.  I suppose time will resolve
that issue.

>... he can accuse me of protectionism, communism, idiocy,
>thumb-sucking, and the heartbreak of psoriasis.  I don't care.  (In
>the words of my late grandfather, if I wanted any shit out of Jeff
>Harkins, I'd squeeze his head.)  I will do as I see fit, and I see
>fit to fight the siting of a Wal-Mart Supercenter here in my adopted home town.

In any of my posts, I can't find a single reference to any of these
statements .......... ?????  I don't think that I have made any
statements that could be construed as directed at Ms. Opyr personally
or made any statements that would attack her character.  If any of
you find such statements, would you please let me know.  I have made
every effort to focus my comments on the issues.

>And once I start fighitng, well . . . everyone duck.  Jeff Harkins
>is about to hit the fan.

I repeat my questions:
    * What system should be in place to provide health coverage for Americans?
    * Who should pay for it?
And I close with one other anecdotal point.  Let's assume, for the
moment, that WalMart is forced to offer a more comprehensive benefit
plan for employees.  This will necessarily increase prices for
Walmart shoppers.  If, as has been noted by numerous posters, news
articles and such, the predominant shopper at WalMart is a low or
relatively lower income bracket wage earner, it would seem that the
primary burden of the increased benefits would fall on those
folks.  This doesn't seem to me to be the best solution to the
problem. What do some of the rest of you think?