[Vision2020] Let Induction Discussion Continue Onlist--or not

tbertruss at aol.com tbertruss at aol.com
Wed Nov 23 16:01:23 PST 2005

Mike wrote:

But sometimes we begin to have an entire
semester class presented, debated, and argued on 2020, and that does
get tiresome.  While periodic Mariners updates are presented, there
are seldom multi-page raging debates about the merits, vel non, of
the designated hitter rule, which I suspect would become tiresome to
many.
I don't fully understand the logic you present above.  Are you saying periodic updates on the Mariners are of more value to the Moscow community and more appropriate to the
Vision2020 list than multi page debates on the baseball rule you reference?

Perhaps debates on the rules of baseball are of more value than periodic Mariners updates, for what Vision2020 can offer the public, that is not widely offered in other media.  We can get Mariners updates from many other sources commonly available.  And if the Mariners were disbanded, Moscow would continue as it will continue with little difference.  But with baseball a sport being played by many in Moscow, many who may have an interest in a detailed discussion of the rules, a discussion that may not be widely presented in other media, why should this sort of discussion on Vision2020 be criticized, even if some find it tiresome?

Debates on zoning law and tax code can get very tiresome, I assure you, yet who is going to argue these issues are not of importance and not worth discussing in great detail on
Vision2020?

I think the value of Vision2020 is precisely that issues can be discussed in depth with more detail than what is offered in some other media, though we can debate what issues are appropriate to the Vision2020 mission statement.

I do not think the discussion on induction so far on Vision2020 is fairly described as a whole semester course presented on the list:  this is hyperbole.

If baseball is of interest to those playing this sport in our community, I think the rules of this game are really a more fitting topic for Vision2020 than Mariners updates, which can be easily found elsewhere.  And if the Mariners were disbanded, Moscow would still have baseball teams with players who have an eager interest in debates about the rules:  thus the rules of baseball may be more critical to what really goes on in our community than what happens to the Mariners.

Ted Moffett