[Vision2020] Wal-Mart cause and effect

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Nov 21 07:21:00 PST 2005

Umm, Jeff, you seem to have missed the point, and then another, in your
post:

1.   The importance of the film's message is not subject to mass-market
acceptance.  In other words, whether or not the film is a blockbuster
doesn't matter.  I would hardly expect a documentary about the world's
largest retailer to command the audience of the new Harry Potter movie, but
I don't discount the worth of the former because it doesn't compete with the
latter.  Unfortunately, the pain and suffering portrayed in the movies
didn't involve special effects, car chases, wizardry and Angelina Jolie --
but I'm glad to be one of the folks who was able to sit through it
nonetheless.

2.  The quotes you post on how much the movie sucks include defiant
assertions that Wal-Mart is great because you can get pretty much everything
you need in one place for less money.  If I, or you, or the spoiled American
consumer were the point, that would indeed be germane.  But we're not, and
it isn't.  The film expresses in a hard-hitting, heart-wrenching way the
devastation wreaked upon people and communities because of the cherished
belief that our convenience -- MY convenience -- is the only thing that
matters.  Quotes from people who stubbornly cling to the belief that they
are the measure of all things only prove the film's point.

I know that you and I view Wal-Mart differently, but I think your arguments
are better made without references to links that illustrate points you
probably would do better to avoid.

keely emerine mix