[Vision2020] Mandating Religion In Science Class

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sun Nov 20 01:40:12 PST 2005

Michael et. al.

I do not think Behe's publishing of his theory of Intelligent Design meets
the scientific standards I outlined for a scientific theory, published with
sufficient empirical evidence.  He would have to present empirical evidence that
an intelligent being of some kind created life and/or the universe, with
sufficient empirical testing methodology that is replicatable by other scientists
seeking validation or refutation of the theory.  I recall that I offered
"Science" magazine as a model for the sort of scientific publishing of theories of
science I was seeking.  Behe's theory is theoretical, and as far as I know,
there is no replicatable empirical testing methodology based on modern scientific
standards that can test the theory.

Please supply a web ink to, or the actual published scientific
theory/empirical validation paper, by Behe, that has been reviewed by the scientific
community with replicatable empirical validation underway, and I will consider the
validity of what you asserted.

Behe's theory has been answered by the scientific community.  It has been
called "Philosophy," and as much as I respect this discipline, there are cases
where a Theory of Philosophy does not meet the standards of science for a
scientific theory, regardless of how clever or brilliant the theory.

Maybe life and/or the universe were created by Intelligent Design.  I agree
we should remain open to all possibilities.  But science requires a rigorous
logical/empirical foundation for a theory to become a scientific theory, and I
do not think Intelligent Design/Creationism currently meets these requirements.

The web link below offers a readable overview of Behe's theory, with a reply
from an opponent in the scientific community, along with other debates
regarding the Intelligent Design/Creationism vs. Evolution debate, Eugenie Scott
among the debaters:

http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/nhmag.html

Ted Moffett