[Vision2020] Wal-Mart cause and effect

Pat Kraut pkraut at moscow.com
Thu Nov 17 14:41:08 PST 2005

I beleive if you check it out that you will find that the reason Ernst left was because the corp offices did not make a payment to the bankrupcy court it keep it here. Yes, it was successful and I miss it still but I do not think Wal-Mart had anything to do with it. I have friends working at Wal-Mart that are very happy with their jobs both here and in Spokane. Are there problems?...with that many employees they couldn't help but have them. But, there are complainers and real problems and I have to wonder how much is because they read some poorly written article and decided to be unhappy. (I have worked with someone who did just that!) I don't think any of this is going to help us keep a bigger Wal-Mart out of Moscow. If we don't work with them they can just build out on the highway and Whitman county will get all the taxes. Surely there is a way for us to make this work without all the roadblocks. They are in business to make money and work hard at it and are doing it very well and it is a capitalist system we work under. I don't believe Costco is nearly as big as Wal-Mart so they wouldn't have all the problems.