[Vision2020] Maybe not an intolerista, but slightly confused.

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 19:31:28 PST 2005

Lets investigate this quote in further detail for Donovan.

"Just because a law is broken in the past, it does not  justify the
continuation of the violation in the present and future."

PART I

"Just because a law is broken in the past . . ."
PAST: http://zonemoscow.com/past/past.html

PART II

". . . it does not justify the continuation of the violation in the present
and future."
PRESENT: http://zonemoscow.com/code/code.html &
http://zonemoscow.com/city/complaint.html
FUTURE: FOR SALE One Building formerly housed a Small Private Liberal Art's
College in the wrong zone.

Now lets look at your message written in response to my initial question.
"Your example is a poor one for three major reasons. First, I do not agree
with your premise that NSA is in violation of the law."

Okay, your first reason is slightly flawed.  There are times when people
disagree with someones opinion about laws but regardless of their opinion on
the law, the law should be followed as written.  Currently the owner of a
coffee shop somehwere in Idaho disagrees with me on my interpretation of the
Idaho Clean Indoor Air Act and how it applies to coffee shops.  This person
feels as though his business would suffer if smoking were not allowed in his
establishment.  Is his business a threat to the community?  No not really,
however his business is in violation of a state law and therefore should be
penalized justly.  Much like the zoning fiasco, one party is in the wrong
based upon the code as it is written and another party has brought this to
the attention of the proper authorities who have doen their job to try and
remedy the situation.

"Second, if it is a law, it is an unjust law, in that if it were to be
followed across the board to every business downtown it would eliminate much
of the core of our city."

I guess I don't follow this argument because I don't perceive any other
business downtown that is in violation of said zoning complaint.  It seems
to me that the vast majority of the businesses downtown are in accordance
with the zoning code for which they preside.  Maybe you could provide
evidence that would support your claim that a large core of our city would
suffer.  Aren't laws in general unjust to some certain people, example:
public no-somking laws are unjustly applied against smokers.

"And finally, it is being prejudicially  enforced. The only reason people
are wanting to enforce this interpretation of the zoning law is because they
do not like a group of people in our community and want to make their lives
as miserable as possible."

Again, provide me with some evidence that Mr. Curley and his clients have
filed a complaint because of prejudice.  Yes, a lot of people in this town
do not like Wilson et al. however, I do not feel as though the complaints
are motivated by a dislike of Wilson et al.

"I believe that prejudice is wrong, even when it is applied to people who
have values and religious beliefs I strongly disagree with, and even people
I dislike. Intoleristas only hate prejudices when it applies to them and
their friends. They are fine with prejudicial treatment if it is against a
group they disapprove of."

Well I guess I can agree with part of this statement in the sense that
prejudice is wrong.  The rest, however, I have to disagree till another day.

Tim

Revolution is not a word but an application; it is not war but peace; it
does not weaken, but strengthens. Revolution does not cause separation; it
generates togetherness.
-John Africa, Strategic Revolution

Lets