[Vision2020] Brith versus Berith versus Berit (sorry Ellen)

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Mon Nov 14 17:37:41 PST 2005

Phil Nisbet Writes:

Berith is a inproper phonetic spelling of Brith.  It is also the name of one
of the Christian Demons who is supposed to be the Duke of Hell.  I would
find it very humorous if Michael and Doug Wilson were going to have a debate
about Berith the Duke of Hell, so I assume that the discussion he intends
there is one about Covenants.

If on the other hand they are actually going to be debating the merits of
various Christian Demons, that could be a very interesting debate to attend
and I for one would love an invite to it.

Me:

I'll let Ralph comment to the correct phonetic spelling of Berit[h]. The
debate is on covenant, as you suspect; I don't know much about Christian
demons. The debate is in writing, but I do eventually hope for a live debate
on the topic.  Given that our political heritage owes much to the Hebraic
'covenant,' I'm surprised that this would not be of interest to local
Visionaries. Of course, our debate is fundamentally theological/exegetical,
but the multi-volume work Leithart has waiting for me is by a Jewish scholar
who focuses on the political employment of biblical 'covenant' in western
history.

Michael Metzler