[Vision2020] Changes that look intereting

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 16:53:33 PST 2005

But as long as we are on the issue of City Elections, why exactly do we not
add in the element of Districting in City Elections.  People have been
complaining about participation, but one of the lelments of that are a lack
of sense that there is anybody who actually lives in the area of the sity
you may be from representing you on the council.

TITLE  50
                            MUNICIPAL CORPORATIONS
                                  CHAPTER 7
                                   COUNCIL
    50-707A.  ELECTION OF COUNCILMEN BY DISTRICTS. (1) Any city may, by
ordinance, provide for districts and the election of councilmen by
districts.
Upon the adoption of such an ordinance and at least one hundred twenty (120)
days prior to each general election, the governing body of the city shall
establish the territory of council districts in accordance with this
section.
    (2)  Each district shall consist of one or more contiguous election
precincts and each district shall, to the nearest extent possible, contain
the
same number of people based upon the most recent federal census.
    (3)  Each city providing for the election of councilmen by districts
shall
establish the number of districts corresponding to the number of council
seats
determined by the city pursuant to section 50-701, Idaho Code, or for any
city
having a governing body governed by the provisions of sections 50-801
through
50-812, Idaho Code, the number of council seats determined by the city
pursuant to section 50-805, Idaho Code.
    (4)  Upon adoption of such an ordinance, a council shall determine, not
less than ninety (90) days before the next general city election, if council
members are to be elected by electors from the entire city, or by the
electors
of the said geographic district. The council shall also determine, not less
than ninety (90) days before the next general election, the method of the
implementation of this ordinance.

____________________________________

In esence, we could break the city up and elect the council on the basis of
neighborhoods, so that people had a more representative government.  Moscow
has grown to the point that doing what other large cities in Idaho do.  We
are no longer a tiny town like Potlatch where everybody lives within
spitting distance of everybody else and everybody has the exact same
problems.  You can note that in some of the complaints about things like the
Third Street bridge or about recent development near the East Palouse Mall.
We have distinctive areas and neighborhoods with very seperate problems.
Having people from all places in the city might be a nice idea to increase
participation in the process and also to get a wider view from what is
becoming a more diverse town.

Phil Nisbet