[Vision2020] Joan and the Celtic Goddess

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Thu Nov 10 11:20:04 PST 2005

Michael Mueller:

Why would you rely on Aaron Rench's hagiographic view of St. Bridget over
Joan's?  Joan is a trained medievalist, Aaron is a  trained ?.  Aaron and I had
this conversation privately about a month  ago - and it was my hope that he
had learned something from it.  Apparently  not.  Please see my email to Aaron
which reads in part:

"Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the tour of St. Bridget's conference room.  I rechecked my  memory
on St. Bridget after our brief discussion.  The following link  describes my
understanding of the role of hospitality and St. Bridget.
_http://www.voskrese.info/spl/XbridKildare.html_
(http://www.voskrese.info/spl/XbridKildare.html)  "

The most  minimally trained historian would immediately be aware that the
life  span of St. Patrick (i.e. he died prior to 500 common era)  rules out  any
connection with a "medieval" Bridget.  There is absolutely nothing to  verify
that Bridget (if she ever existed) wrote any poem about serving King  Jesus
beer.  In fact, any extant writing by a Celtic woman of that era  would be
priceless. Sean O'Faolain, the Irish poet who wrote the  Heavenly Banquet, grew up
in the area that Bridget reportedly  frequented.  He knew the legends about
her, and no doubt celebrated her  Saint's day.  Nonetheless, the tale of St.
Bridget is probably nothing more  than a pretty little story.

St. Brigid (?), The Heavenly Banquet
I would like to  have the men of Heaven
in my own house;
with vats of good cheer
laid  out for them.
I would like to  have the three Marys,
their fame is so great.
I would like people
from  every corner of Heaven.
I would like them  to be cheerful
in their drinking.
I would like to have Jesus, too,
here  amongst them.
I would like a  great lake of beer
for the King of Kings.
I would like to be watching  Heaven's family
drinking it through all eternity.
Translated by  Sean O'Faolain
_http://www.uoregon.edu/~sshoemak/322/Texts/banquet.htm_
(http://www.uoregon.edu/~sshoemak/322/Texts/banquet.htm)

Your's for  genuine academic training,
Rose Huskey

"First they  ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win." Mahatma  Gandhi