[Vision2020] Evolution's Sky

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 20:45:25 PST 2005

Actually Hanson, that is a poem I wrote much earlier and later perfected
from conversations with noted molecular biologist RD Brown while he and I
were working on the idea of atmospheric generation of preliminary genetic
materials sourced from the combination of clay particles as substrates for
catalysts of iron-nickel-cobalt from Archean asteroid strikes.  Dr Brown
bailed before we finished working on the paper, which was understandable
because he was given one heck of a deal to run a major lab with about 100
million in research funding.

The introduction of blue green algae into the preliminary atmosphere,
something quite toxic to all of us creatures who later followed, caused the
first very large planetary die off as they literally shat their way through
the CO2 eats to form an air rich in oxygen that killed they and most species
adapted to the 20% CO2 of the atmosphere then current.  That rapidly cooled
the planet and allowed the formation of large oceans.  Venus is today much
as our planet was back then.  It is perfectly possible for us to one day
terraform Venus simply by introducing blue green algae to its upper
atmosphere (Indeed, it might just be that our probes might just do that on
their way down to the surface of that planet.)

Now I realize that deeper thoughts in poetry must strike you as things
written about acid trips of Rock Stars (Hendrix was one hell of a guitar
player, but not exactly noted for his lyrical accomplishments.), but there
are reasons for writing enjoyable and educational verse.  Its point is to
make you think and look more deeply into yourself and the world around you.
Acid and drugs are not actually required to do this and may really tend to
stop you now and in the future from seeing that deeply.

I posted that poem at this time because obviously the debate here about
evolution versus intelligent design has so far focused almost exclusively on
ID rather than even looking at what is taught as evolution in the schools.
So, what is evolution?   Is what they are feeding the kids in school as
being evolution really science or is it a theology dressed in sheep’s
clothing?

Because I have been listening to defenses of Darwin and things about gaps in
evolution that are simply terrible science from just about all who post
here.  How exactly can you support the teaching of something that you have
little or no understanding of and that few if any teachers teaching can even
hope to discuss logically with their students?

Phil Nisbet