[Vision2020] kirk email

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Tue Nov 8 13:38:52 PST 2005

J Wrote:

First, I am curious - are you comparing CC to being like an organization
such as the Mafia?  So that makes Doug the Godfather?  Was the Godfather
evil or political?  Interesting.

Me:

No, the Mafia would be local politics, and Wilson would be yelling "Just as
soon as I think I'm out they bring me back in!"  He would then have his
heart attack and fall to the kitchen floor. I actually think there are many
analogies to the two plots.  Once, Wilson was a ring leader in the Mafia,
but he's trying to repent; give him some space so that he can get his life
back in order and go on.

J Wrote:

Secondly, with CC being the ONLY church in Moscow spouting out political
do's and don'ts, why do you feel it has to be an either/or situation for
CC/Doug?

Me:

This was one of my questions: Or is this a false alternative?  Why do you
feel that it isn't an either/or?

J Wrote:

Are you suggesting that we would see an even more increased effort to have
things run their way?  Laws changed to fit their needs?  People run out of
town or loose their jobs that they don't like?  The overtaking of buildings
downtown be even more obvious and out in the open?

Me:

Oh, man.  Just think of what we could do.  If we put all our connections,
congregation, church businesses, money (well), and my son with his squirt
gun into an aggressive and sustained political battle, we'd take over the
place. You'd see Joe and I debating philosophy on the front page of the
Daily News every day! Philosophers should be Kings! Said Plato; philosophers
will rule the land. Chas, Ted, Joe, and Michael would split the kingdom into
four secions. Or, I guess, the FBI would do us in before it got too out of
hand.

J Wrote:

What is more evil - people supporting their community for the betterment and
benefit of the community as a whole OR people claiming they are the only
ones with the truth and the rest of us better start getting in line and
stepping in rhythm?

Me:

Oh no, you have it wrong.  I appreciate and accept your point of view that
my moral views are disgusting and that my pastor is a lying racist. No
problem here in Diversityville as far as I'm concerned.

I better stop before I start sounding sarcastic.  Now, what about Joe's
epistemic concerns about a Christian foundation for morality?......

Thanks!

Michael Metzler