[Vision2020] smart growth

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 17:25:48 PST 2005

I am throwing this out for discussion because I would like to understand more about the principles of "smart growth".  I have heard it referred to a lot during this campaign season and I still do not quite understand it.  My fellow co-workers had a discussion about it over lunch and we came to no real conclusion.  One thing that was mentioned over lunch was a statement one of them had seen on "Facebook" in a group that is called "Peg 4 Mayor."  The statement reads, "She supports smart growth (bringing in Target and Home Depot) to our city."  Apparently, the statement was made by one of the campus campaign managers.  Therefore, if it is negative, it may not be fair to attribute it to Peg.  I am not putting it out here because I think it is negative.  Maybe it is a perfectly reasonable statement.  I am just hoping that some of you smart people can help me and my co-workers understand smart growth.  One question we did have is that we were not sure what bringing in a Target or !
 Depot has to do with smart growth.  Perhaps it fits into some economical principle?  I would like to add that any replies should not slam one candidate or another.  The goal in this discussion should be to explain what "smart growth" is.  Thanks -Tom