[Vision2020] Auntie's endorsements (was: Kit Craine for City Council)

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 6 17:54:01 PST 2005

On 6 Nov 2005, at 13:22, Betsy Dickow wrote:

> Moscow needs the strong voice of Kit Craine.  She brings honesty, an
> abiding affection for, and knowledge of Moscow to our community.  Her
> sense of fairness, equality, justice, and of open, visible governance
> are greatly needed in this city.  With Kit on the city council (and
> Ament, Holmes, and Stout), Mocow will continue to be  unique,  warm,
> vibrant, and citizen involved.  We can avoid the mistakes of other
> towns in America.  Moscow can continue to represent what is best and
> honorable in the state of Idaho.
>
> In addition it is important to note that Kit will be only one of two
> women on the council.  Do we really want a gender based city council.
> We think not...please join us in getting out the vote on Tuesday.  See
> you at the polls!
>
> Betsy and Bob Dickow

Thanks to Betsy for opening this door.  Now that I'm done with today's
show on KRFP -- the last half-hour of which Carl and I devoted to
broadcasting (gasp) last Friday's NSA Disputatio featuring mayoral
candidates Nancy Chaney, Peg Hamlett, Randy Blanton, and Herman Adona
--  I feel that I can speak freely about my own picks for Moscow Mayor
and City Council.  These picks are purely hypothetical, of course.  As
Donovan is sure to leap in and tell you, even though I've already told
you myself, I am not able to vote in Moscow city elections.  Thougth I
live in the 83843 zipcode, and though my children attend Moscow
schools, I am not a resident of the city proper.  Nevertheless, I do
have the unmitigated gall to have strong preferences in this election.
They are:

Nancy Chaney for Mayor.  Nancy knows the issues.  She's a woman of
honesty, integrity, and strength; she's smart, she's thoughtful, and
she's principled.  I believe that she will make an excellent mayor, and
I fully support her candidacy.

Dan Carscallen, Kit Craine, and Aaron Ament for City Council.  I have
had the honor of interviewing all three of these candidates on KRFP --
though I am not, of course, speaking on behalf of KRFP in endorsing
them -- and I have been impressed by their knowledge of the issues,
their vision for Moscow's future, and their strength of character.
Dan, Kit, and Aaron are not in accord on many of the issues facing
Moscow, and they don't all reflect my own positions, but I admire their
brains, dedication, and integrity.  We could not ask for better
representatives on the Moscow City Council than these three very fine,
very different individuals.

If I could vote, I would vote for each and every one of these
candidates with enthusiasm.  How they make me wish I could vote.  The
last time I cast my ballot was in the 2004 Presidential election, an
exercise in civic depression.  You are lucky, Muscovites, to have these
good people running -- damned lucky.

Wishing each and every one of you victory on election day,

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com