[Vision2020] Mandating Religion In Science Class

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sun Nov 6 16:46:19 PST 2005

Michael et. al.

The subject heading indicates the focus of this post.  I am not referencing
the discussion of Plantinga or Scott, because the orientation of this
discussion was not kept focused on the current court battle and central issue of
control of the science curriculum by religious interests.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/IDpa.html

"The members of this school board have made their own religious beliefs part
of the high school's science curriculum," said Eric Rothschild, a partner at
Pepper Hamilton, a law firm headquartered in Philadelphia.  "This policy is not
only unconstitutional, it is bad science."

Michael wrote:

I can understand trying to nuance how these points of view are communicated,
but requiring that the point of view of half the American populace not BE
ALLOWED “in the classroom” is nothing short of statist mind control.  How’s that
for a controversial statement!
------------------------------------

Are you joking...?  Must be!  You could find numerous points of view that
half the population follow that may not be included in numerous classes.  So
what?  Maybe half the music students in Music Appreciation want the course to
focus entirely on Madonna, Britney Spears, Rap, Hip Hop and Metal.  Does that mean
the academic curriculum should drop Mozart and Beethoven?  Maybe half the
population believes in astrology, UFOs and faith healing?  Does this mean science
and medicine classes must teach these "theories" as though they are
legitimate science?

No is attempting to require what you state above, at least no one I have
heard about.  Students, even the teacher, may discuss Intelligent
Design/Creationism informally in science classes.  The issue is whether it should be mandated
as a formal part of the science curriculum.  In fact, the "mind control" is
coming from those seeking to teach religion in science classes, however cleverly
disguised as an open minded investigation of alternative theories of the
origins of the universe or life.

If this religious agenda is successful, we could see Intelligent
Design/Creationism mandated to be taught as "science" in science classrooms everywhere, on
an equal par with evolutionary science, or if not perfectly equal, with the
goal to imply that to believe in Intelligent Design/Creationism is somehow just
as scientific a view as to understand evolutionary science.  Imagine if it
was mandated that any class (in public schools, including public universities)
teaching anything about the Bible must include statements from the world of
science that contradict the Bible?

This battle is about legally requiring the formal curriculum of science to
include nonscientific theories, based on the desires of believers in certain
religions to undermine the academic independence of science as a discipline to
determine what is or is not an accepted theory of science, based on the
methodology of this discipline.

Michael wrote:

So with all this in consideration, it would not seem silly to include some
subject matter on different metaphysical frameworks in the science classroom.  I
think there are other complicated considerations like this one, but this one
example should suffice for now.  Because of this, I don't think it is
necessary to call Creationism a 'science,' as such, outside of its potentially potent
ability to inform scientific hypothesis formation-just as does the broader
evolutionary narrative that most scientists currently assume.
------------------------

The comments above do not directly and honestly face what is occurring in
this debate.  You write "...it would not seem silly to include some subject
matter on different metaphysical frameworks in the science classroom."  There are
numerous science teachers who indeed would feel very silly, and resentful, at
being required by law to teach as "science" in biology class the theories of
Intelligent Design/Creationism, theories which the teachers in question do not
believe are legitimate science.  And many mainstream scientists involved with
and observing this legal battle are far beyond thinking it "silly," they are,
to quote a lawyer advocating for this control over science curriculum,
"worried."

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/living/religion/12732377.htm

Richard Thompson, chief counsel for the Christian law firm from Michigan that
is defending the Dover school board, said of his opponents, "If they lose in
Dover, they're worried they will start to see these kind of [efforts] all over
the place. And I think they're right."

Michael writes:

"I don't think it is necessary to call Creationism a 'science,' ..."

What does this mean?  This statement does not clarify whether you think it
should be mandated that Intelligent Design/Creationism be taught as a formal
part of the science curriculum, nor does it pin down whether you think any
Intelligent Design/Creationism theories are scientific theories, with the same
status as a theory of science as the theory of evolution.

Michael wrote:

Certainly, in a classroom where ‘origins’ of human live are being discussed,
it is going to be relevant and interesting for everybody to talk about the
two dominant yet competing points of view (whether it is an intro to biology or
intro to ethics).
----------------------

What is appropriate for formal academic curriculum in an ethics course is
quite different from that for a science class.  Ethics is not a science.  You are
too intelligent and educated not to understand the difference, so your casual
lumping of ethics and science into one basket in this statement is
astounding.

Unless a scientist can fulfill the demand for a scientific theory of
Intelligent Design/Creationism that can be subjected to the methodology of science
sufficient to make the theory, with empirical investigations, publishable in a
legitimate scientific journal as serious science, just as theories about the Big
Bang origins of our universe are published as legitimate science, I will c
ontinue to believe that Intelligent Design/Creationism involves speculative
theories that have not achieved enough empirical validation and/or
logical/mathematical sense, according to the standards of scientific methodology, to be taught
as science, and thus should not be mandated to be taught in science
classrooms.

Michael wrote:

Is it important that the Christian View be inherently 'scientific' or is it
sufficient that the Christian View be merely "tenable"and "relating to
science?"
----------------------------

I already answered this question indirectly.  Any theory of Intelligent
Design/Creationism, to be taught as science , should fulfill the standards for a
scientific theory, that any theory is subjected to in the discipline of science.

Perhaps you'd like to express your stand, if you have one, on the current
legal battle, which may go to the US Supreme Court, on what must be mandated to
be taught in science classrooms regarding Intelligent Design/Creationism?

This debate is about the independence of the academic discipline of science
to pursue truth according to the standards of scientific methodology.  I do not
want to return to the days when what is taught in science classrooms is
controlled by a religious agenda, no matter what religion.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/living/religion/12732377.htm

"We're very, very concerned about it," said Alan I. Leshner, chief executive
officer of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the
world's largest general scientific society. "There are national implications, of
course. This is part of an ongoing movement to bring religion into the science
classroom."