[Vision2020] Homosexuality

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Thu Nov 3 21:07:49 PST 2005

Sorry, the formatting didn't turn out right the first time around for my
screen, so here's another try:

Keely,

Maybe it will help to at least come to agreement for now about what it would
mean to answer this question either way. Here's how I would understand the
weakest possible version of question: if homosexuality is part of our sin
condition, that would mean that God did not design or intend the sexs and
sexuality for a homosexual union. This sort of behavior is not what God
intended originally in virtue of creation. On the other hand, if
homosexuality is NOT part of our sin condition, then it is perfectly natural
in virtue of creation; God fully intended it and designed the sexes and
sexuality for a homosexual union. Or perhaps a different way of stating this
weak version of the question is to simply ask: Is homosexuality a result of
the fall?

I think this way of setting up the question is a bit too weak for my taste,
but perhaps it is a good testing ground for a first step in agreeing about
what the question even is. So I would be interested to know if you agree
with at least this way of understanding the question. This has been such a
controversial issue around here, and so it would seem this is a worth while
pursuit.

The biblical categories on the subject would of course have to include
issues such as homosexuality as 'judgement' (Rom 1), and something that
perverts and destroys the goodness and holiness of sexuality, not to mention
one of its basic functions: a bunch of little kiddies. Marriage between a
man and woman speaks of the eternal Trinitarian communion and of the
relationship between Jesus and the church (Eph 5); and so homosexuality
could possibly be seen as theological heresy, a lie about God and
redemption, if it was concluded that it was in fact part of our sin
condition. (note: such heresy and lying would be even more extreme for
husbands who mistreat their children and wives.) So more interesting
questions would be lurking in the nearby bushes once we settled the weak
version of the question; but that is of course not where we are at for the
moment.

One last note.  I'm not sure how to take your statement, "Some things are
absolutes.  Love is one of them; a stance on homosexuality isn't." This
becomes important in these 'postmodern times;' clarification would be good.
Are you saying that there isn't possibly a correct answer to this question,
one that is 'absolute?' Does God not even have an answer to this question?

Or, do you mean that it is just too exegetically murky?  Something that we
just can't figure out based on the revelation of the bible?  Something that
God was perhaps purposefully silent or ambiguous about?

In other words, is there just no answer in principle for us, or is it just
in principle impossible for us to know at this time?

If this is putting you on the spot, don't worry; Joe will come after me! :-)

Thanks

Michael

Keely Wrote:

Sorry, Michael -- you must have sent this yesterday?

Anyway . . . I don't know.  I believe that some people are born homosexual

and that most are born heterosexual.  I believe that relationships,

sexuality, attraction, gender and the like are quite complex.  I also

believe that the simplest, most literal reading of Scripture may, in many

cases, not bring about the correct understanding birthed by more intense

study.  Some things are absolutes.  Love is one of them; a stance on

homosexuality isn't.

Suspecting as I do that you want, then, a simple "yes" or "no," I'm sure

you'll understand why that hill is not one I'm willing to die on without

much more study, understanding, defining of terms, and prayer.   I will

stand by my original answer and gladly die on the hill of honoring Christ

Jesus in love, and loving others because of Him.

That's a simple answer I'm able to give any time.

keely