[Vision2020] What just society does something like this?

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 2 16:06:24 PST 2005

On 2 Nov 2005, at 12:12, Sunil Ramalingam wrote:

> But boy, did you [Pat] nail it on the head with your description of
> Muslims.  How did you know that they're all exactly the same, sharing
> identical beliefs and practices?  I bet they even all look alike (
> which, based on my experiences, sadly means they all look like me.)
>
> Do some Muslims do terrible things?  Yes, just like some Hindus,
> Christians, Jews, Buddhists, you name it.  Does that mean all members
> of those religion are the same and would do the same thing?  Of course
> not.
>
> Yours in compassion,
>
> Sunil

Wouldn't life be more simple, more comprehensible, Sunil, if we just
stopped trying to understand the world's seeming complexities?
Wouldn't it be easier if we simply acknowledged that all Muslims are
inherently bad because 1) they're not Christians, and 2) large numbers
of them seem to be squatting on top of our oil supply?  The world is
our pumping station (as Mae West said to the Bishop).

If only Iraq were Texas . . . but it's not, so what can we do?  Saddam
was bad -- except, of course, when he was good, but that was way back
in the Reagan era when we needed him to fight a war-by-proxy against
the Iranians.  Okay, sure, some of the people Saddam tortured were
tortured with U. S. dollars by CIA-trained goons, but why not let
bygones be bygones?  You can't expect the American people, who have the
attention span of an indolent housefly, to remember boring, irrelevant
stuff like that.  It's not HOW we got here that counts; it's the fact
that we ARE here.  Where are we, again?  I forget.  But anyway, as long
as we're on the subject of simplifying, let's go ahead and concede that
ALL non-Christians are bad.  Why?  Because they believe that their
silly religious beliefs are just as valid as Christianity.  Ha!  Where
do they get these ridiculous ideas?  And why do they insist on wishing
normal people "Happy Holidays" when they ought to say "Merry
Christmas?"  What a pain in the ass they are.

And speaking of pains in the ass, people like you and me are nothing
more than big, pointy tacks in the collective American backside.  Why?
Because you're a brown Episcopalian with bizarre ideas of social
justice and equality for all, and I'm a lesbian Jew with a nose ring
who keeps on insisting that I'm happily married even though I'm not
legally married because I'm married to another woman.  Idiots!  Why do
we insist on asking why, why, why when the answer is clearly "because?"
  Our lives would be so much simpler if you'd turn white and Republican,
and I'd turn Christian and straight.  Then, at last, we might make the
world a better place.  Then we might accept that George Bush knows best
because he says he knows best; that political conundrums are simple
black and white; and -- are you ready? -- we'd know that some people
are good (us) and others are bad (them) because, because, because.

To Pat, all cats are gray in the dark.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Yours without pity,
Joan

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: The last time I checked, the only countries that imprisoned a
greater percentage of its citizens than the United States were Russia
and China, but rumor has it that we've now surpassed Russia.  Not that
it matters or anything.  I was just thinking about it in the context of
asking a question like, "What just society does something like this?"
But I don't approve of asking these kinds of questions, do I?  Thinking
too hard makes me a wet blanket at parties.  Would you pass me a Bud
Light, Sunil?  Oh, and a copy of People magazine.  I'm really, really
hoping that Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn get together.  That'll
show that adulterous Brad Pitt and that slut, Angelina Jolie!  (Sorry,
Carl.)