[Vision2020] Doug Wilson's complete conversation w/ BOCC

Chris Maland cmaland1970 at hotmail.com
Wed May 25 09:26:12 PDT 2005

THE COMPLETE COVERSATION:

Doug: I asked to be put on your agenda for 5 minutes just to make an
appearance and express to you my basic concern about a situation in town
involving Christ Church an associated ministries. And that basic concern
would be summed up this way: If there are a number of tax-exempt entities in
Moscow that are in the same situation that Logos School is in, Nuart, Anselm
House, and New St. Andrews…If that’s the case, and if there are people in
town who have had a very public vendetta against us for personal or
ideological reasons of their own, my concern, that I wanted to express to
you all face to face, is that that mechanism of the law not be used, or not
be allowed to be used as a cat’s-call for fulfilling personal, settling
personal scores. That sort of thing it appears to me would be a flagrant
example of applying the law selectively. So, in other words, the “exclusive
use,” the particular interpretation of “exclusive use” that y’all decided on
in the last go-around that’s now on appeal—that understanding of “exclusive
use” must apply to all tax exempt entities in Moscow or Latah County, and
not just to those entities that have me sitting on the board. And my concern
is with this second round of complaints brought against two other entities
that I’m on the board of. And if Latah County is a position to sort of—only
responding to these sorts of complaints—the defacto setup will be a
selective enforcement of the law as you gentlemen understand it. In terms of
your interpretation of the law, I think we should follow the procedure make
our appeals do our—you know, do our thing. That’s one, that’s one level of
concern. That has to do with interpretation of how the law should be
applied. But, I think we should all agree that the law should not just be
applied to those who are the brunt of the animosity of a handful of people
in town, who want to run them out of town, and who want to use the zoning
requirements, the Latah County Commissioners or the Board of Adjusters, the
Idaho State Attorney General—there was a complaint filed against me there
and another thing. I don’t think that should be—I think that should be
recognized. And I wanted to appear before you face to face and just tell you
that is my fundamental concern. I think it opens Latah Co. up to a great
deal of exposure if the law is applied selectively in that way. And I simply
wanted to tell you that.

Commissioner #1: Ok, well, we appreciate that. We were hoping the state
board of Tax Appeals would make a decision on it because, you know, it is a
big issue not only in Latah County probably, but certainly state-wide.

Doug: Yeah, we were hoping that too.

Commissioner #1: As you’re aware, they have not done anything with it at
this point.
Doug: Well what they did was they handed it back to you all. And it came
back here so with the decision you made, we can now appeal to district
court, but enough time has gone by that you’re having to make the decisions
on the next round with us, without any direction from the state. And I guess
the thing that I wanted to say is that: Monsters don’t shrink when you feed
them. And I believe that it is your responsibility to not just look at the
letter of the law, what’s going on in the law, but also to look at the town
and see what’s happening in town. The animosity, the ideological agenda
that’s directed against us is open, public. The archives of V2020 are there
for anybody to read. The last two year have been—our adversaries have been
overt about what they want to do. They want to run us out of town. And they
are using every device that they can get their hands on to do that. And so,
whatever you do, I would implore you to do it consistently and across the
board. That means, if—

Commissioner #1: I’m sure that’s our goal.

Commissioner #2: Well if I must, I’ve stated that I didn’t take this
position to not treat everyone fairly and in the best interest of the
overall. And I think my concern has been all along, and some of these cases
I struggled very hard to follow the law, and what was right and equal. And
so, I certainly am not going to change my position as far as equality and
religious freedom and all those things that we all have access to.

Doug: I appreciate that, but we’re a year later and there are two entities
that have had the tax-exempt removed and those are our two. And the next two
that are on the docket are two more that I sit on the board of. And there is
no action that has been taken concerning any other tax-exmept entity in
Moscow. And I’m not going to file a complaint against all the entities
because what’s been to us, I believe is unjust. So, I’m certainly not going
to illustrate the injustice of it by filing a similar complaint against the
Presbyterian Church across the street. I’m not going to do that. But the
fact remains, there is a defacto situation on the ground where a year later
the tax-exemptions that have been removed have been from our two entities.
The next two that are threatened are the two entities that I sit on the
board of. And I just wouldn’t want Latah County to make a very expensive
mistake. And that’s why I wanted to appear—I didn’t want to necessarily—I
know this is not the venue for going into all the details of it, but I just
wanted to be on the record as having expressed my concern.

Commissioner #1: Well, I appreciate that. And I know, if somebody protested
any other tax-exempt organization, I would treat it the same as I have this
here, except that, unfortunately right now, you’re the only one that has
been protested.

Doug: That’s exactly the point. And we’re not going to file complaints
against these others because it would be wrong to do so. I would just like
you to be aware of what’s going on in the bigger picture. There’s a reason
why we’re the only entities coming before you. There is a reason for that.
And it’s a publicly documented reason. So…

Commissioner #1: Ok.

Doug: Thank you, Gentlemen.