[Vision2020] Harper's Magazine - Part 2

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Tue May 24 20:48:58 PDT 2005

Visionaries:
Warren Hayman alerted Visionaries to the June 2005, Harper's  Magazine
reference to Moscow.  (Please check with BookPeople or the  Co-op if you would like
your own copy.)  I would like to share the first  three paragraphs of the
article --which consists entirely of text from  Southern Slavery As It Was.  There
are no editorial comments, no  historic evaluation, just selections from the
book.  It speaks for  itself.

"Sodomites parade in the streets, claiming that if we do not appropriate
more money to study why people with foul sexual habits get sick, we are somehow
violating their civil rights.  Feminists, in rebellion against God, invert
the order of the home established by God.  They do so in a way that seeks  to
rob women of their beauty in submissions and their security in being  loved.
How did we get here, and what is the way out?  The question  cannot be answered
fully without careful study of the War Between the States and  the
controversies surround it.  Slavery was one of those  controversies.
May a Christian own slaves, even when this makes him part of a larger pagan
system that is not fully scriptural, or perhaps not scriptural at all?
Provided that he owns them in conformity to Christ's laws for such situations,  the
Bible is clear that Christians may own slaves.
Slavery as it existed in the South was a relationship based upon mutual
affection and confidence.  There has never been a multiracial society that  has
existed with such mutual intimacy and harmony in the history of the  world.  The
gospel enabled men who were distinct in nearly every way to  live and work
together, to be friends and often intimates.  This happened  to such an extent
that moderns indoctrinated by "civil rights" propaganda would  be thunderstruck
to know the half of it."

Southern Slavery As It Was, 1996, Canon Press, Moscow, Idaho
by Douglas J. Wilson, Pastor of Christ Church, Moscow, Idaho  and  Steve
Wilkins, Pastor of Auburn Avenue Church, Monroe, Louisiana.

Keely Mix expressed a wish that evangelical Christians would denounce the
unChristian behavior of Christ Church.  Dr. Tracy McKenzie, Professor  of
History and Director of the Honors Program at University of Washington, has  done
just that.  Dr. McKenzie, is a member of an evangelical church in the  Seattle
area, a church which happens to belong to Doug Wilson's own  federation of
churches, Confederation of Reformed Evangelical Churches aka  CREF,
_http://www.crechurches.org/index.html_ (http://www.crechurches.org/index.html) .  Dr.
McKenzie teaches Civil War history and instantly recognized the huge chunks  of
plagiarized text  (or "sloppy un-attributed citations", pick your  poison) in
SSAIW.  Recently, Dr. McKenzie posted the following  letter to the editor of
World Magazine, a leading Evangelical periodical.

Far  more serious
In fairness to Doug Wilson and Steve Wilkins ("Doug Wilson and  slavery,"
April 30), the two dozen occurrences of plagiarism in their  controversial
booklet on Southern slavery were obviously unintentional—evidence  of sloppiness
rather than deceit. Far more serious are the booklet's other  errors. Its
numerous logical errors, factual mistakes, misreading of evidence,  and ad hominem
attacks falsely model what it means to love God with our minds  and its
unsubstantiated defense of Southern slavery as a "pleasant . . .  experience for the
majority" will constitute a stumbling block of monumental  proportions for many
sincere seekers.
—Robert Tracy McKenzie; Seattle,  Wash
_http://www.worldmag.com/displayarticle.cfm?id=10655_
(http://www.worldmag.com/displayarticle.cfm?id=10655)
Dr. McKenzie's letter to the editor of World Magazine perfectly  addresses
Ms. Mix's wish.  As, for the authors of SSAIW, please remember  this.  Doug
Wilson finally admitted to sloppy editing, but, to date, has  absolutely refused
to retract a single word of the text.  Steve Wilkins, as  a founder and
continuing Board Member of the League of the South, will live and  die by the
sentiments expressed in the book.

Rose (and Doug has the gall to call me an Intolerista?) Huskey

When the fox preaches, look to the  geese.
Old  European Proverb