[Vision2020] Dr. Laura my foot

joanopyr at earthlink.net joanopyr at earthlink.net
Mon May 23 16:13:34 PDT 2005

Pat Kraut asks:

"Isn't this [the American Psychiatric Association] the same group that believes man/boy love is more than OK and should be approved?? I believe Dr Laura has been on them about it. So, of course gay marriage would be an easy first step down the slippey slope to no morality at all."

Sigh.  No, Pat, the American Psychiatric Association is not the same group that argues for man/boy love.  That would be NAMBLA.  As a lesbian, a mother, and a woman of some common sense, I find NAMBLA repulsive.  Period.  The power differential between men and boys (or between Mary Kay LaTourneau and her new husband) does not allow for a healthy, consensual, equal relationship.  The men of NAMBLA do not "love" boys; they want license to abuse them while pretending that this is in some way good for the child.  This is not the position of the American Psychiatric Association.  Are we clear on that point?

Now, about "Dr. Laura."  She's a talk show host, a media personality, an inflammatory talking head like Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh.  The "Dr." before her name does not represent a PhD in psychology, counseling, or any other field which might qualify her to dispense mental health advice.  (If I'm not mistaken, her PhD is in Physical Education or some such.)  She is free to voice her opinion of gay marriage, but as a lesbian in a long-term relationship, I fail to say any way in which the legal recognition of Melynda's and my commitment would lead down "a slippery slope to no morality at all."  Why would it?  Strict observance of the Koran allows the men of Saudi Arabia to marry as many women as they can financially afford, but they can't marry one single camel.  So, if polygamy doesn't lead to bestiality, then why would same-sex marriage lead to pedophilia? Or, for that matter, why would same-sex marriage lead to polygamy?

The United States is not governed by Biblical law or by the Koran; we are governed by the Constitution, which purports to recognize that all men and women are created equal.  We are suppsed to enjoy certain inalienable rights, among these the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  There are several caveats in U. S. and state law ensuring that these rights do not entail the right to harm others.  I fail to see how recognition of my marriage to Melynda would 1) weaken anyone's heterosexual marriage, or 2) lead us all into perdition.

Now, if you insist on playing the religion card, then you might be interested to know that Dr. Laura and I are both practicing Jews.  We're also both converts to Judaism.  She should know, as I do, that there are Orthodox Rabbis who will marry two Orthodox Jewish women to one another because there is no prohibition against such unions in Jewish law.  Melynda and I were married (not legally but before the God in whom we both believe) by The Reverend Dr. Kristine Zacharison of Community Congregational United Church of Christ in Pullman, WA.  So far, so good.  The Palouse has not been invaded by NAMBLA; it has not fallen into a pit of despair; it has not found itself flooded or torched or that its citizens have been turned into pillars of salt.  Hip-hip, hooray!  Here's to Yahweh and His/Her common sense!

The only slippery slope I'm aware of, Pat, is the one behind my house, and it's only slippery when it snows.  Next winter, toboganning party at my place!  But don't bring Dr. Laura.  She's bound to hog the sled and drink up all the eggnog.  She's such a media whore.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com