[Vision2020] Wilsons attack Moscow Food Co-op

Nate Wilson natewilson at moscow.com
Wed May 18 14:58:34 PDT 2005

Aloha Bill,
    I wouldn't call it retaliation. I'd call it sharing. Aaron and I are
both just thoroughly hooked on the equitable application of zoning code.
We love it. That's all. Here are our shoes. Walk a mile. The truth is
that the code appears to makes a distinction between "drive-up
facilities" (like malls, shopping centers, gas stations, Wal-marts, and
/grocery stores/) and "retail enterprises." The CBD hopes to promote
pedestrian traffic downtown (among other things), and so drive-up
facilities don't fall into permitted uses. Retail enterprises do. Of
course, I don't think you need to worry. The city would never decide
against you. I mean a year ago council members were privately
deliberating with you as to whether or not they should condemn Christ
Church by name. (Perhaps Tom Hansen has that correspondence on his
site?) If you want the city to decide against the Co-op you'll have to
get my dad on the board.
    As far as your stressful time goes, I apologize. We couldn't
possibly understand. It's just not something we've ever had to deal
with. We should have waited until a couple years after your move. I
don't know if this will help, but in the past I've found world music
soothing.
    Like I've told the papers, I hope the city decides in your favor,
and anybody without the mind of an anal-retentive fundamentalist should
realize that the city should make a distinction between a Winco and a
Co-op, just like they should between a College of 150 students, and the
local state university. I like the Co-op. I like it so much that I want
it to be on our team. If the Co-op board were to express public support
of NSA in this "stressful period" of selective zoning code application,
then I would drop my complaint the next day (seriously) and you could
get back to sheet-rocking. I'm sure Aaron would do the same. Cheers, and
good luck.

NDW