[Vision2020] Palouse Empire Mall rejects Public Transportation...

Garrett Clevenger onewildearth at hotmail.com
Tue May 17 22:53:56 PDT 2005

Thanks to all who commented on my original email.

The mall has decided to prevent the bus from making a stop there because
people are parking their cars in the UI owned parking lot which allegedly
keeps shoppers from being able to park there.

The problem with their reasoning is that there is still plenty of space to
park.

When was the last time any body noticed that the mall parking lot was full?
Maybe on days where they have car sales, but even then, there are places to
park.

The parking lot is meant for cars to park in.  Why not use it to its
capacity?

This parking lot is enormous.  It seems odd to kick the bus out because 30
or 40 cars are being parked by bus riders.  At the very least, the stop
could be at the Office Depot end of the lot, which always looks like there's
plenty of room to park.

The amount of people the bus brings in daily to the mall is greater than 40
people.  Those people would either not shop at the mall, walk or ride their
bikes, or drive their cars instead, thus still use the parking lot for the
same number or more of parking spaces.

Thus, if anything, the mall is benefiting by getting more shoppers to spend
their money there and use less parking spaces total.

Public transportation is intended to lesson the need for parking lots.
That's why UI and WSU support the bus, so they don't have to build more
parking lots.

The mall should have encourged people to ride the bus to the mall instead of
driving.  The mall should not have looked at the bus as a drain to them, but
rather as an asset to bring shoppers in and as a a way to prevent more cars
from being parked there.

The thing that saddens me most is that the mall management just doesn't see
the value in public transportation.   They would rather have people
contribute to traffic congestion than ride the bus to the mall.  They are
unwilling to support a valuable community asset.

That seems short sighted and not the way to build a communtiy.

We should be encouraging the use of public transportation, not limit its
routes.

Garrett Clevenger