[Vision2020] Accredited/registered institutions

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 00:37:22 PDT 2005

Wayne, Ron, Saundra, Rose, Tom, J, Ted, Tim, Mike, et
al.,

I am going to give five ways in which to verify that
Wayne and Rose's understanding is incorrect and that
New St. Andrew’s is NOT authorized to teach “higher
academic courses” by the Idaho State Board of
Education in which it is required in order meet the
definition of “educational institution” as defined by
Moscow City Code.

First point of validation, the certificate that NSA
has described on their website (the one Wayne and
Sandra keep references) is a certificate of
registration and it does not give them approval to
teach “higher academic courses.” Teaching courses and
teaching college level courses is NOT the same. St.
Maries and Logos have the exact SAME certificate of
registration and they cannot teach approved college
level courses either. Here is the state code and link,

“TITLE  33
                                  EDUCATION
                                  CHAPTER 24
                             PROPRIETARY SCHOOLS
33-2404.	REGISTRATION. No person or principal, whether
operating from within or without the state of Idaho,
shall sell, offer for sale, or distribute, or cause to
be sold, offered for sale, or distributed, any course
or courses in this state unless such person shall be
registered with, and hold a valid certificate of
registration issued by the board. Any such
registration and certificate of registration shall
expire on the thirtieth day of June of each year.”

http://www3.state.id.us/cgi-bin/newidst?sctid=330240004.K

Second point of validation, is the Idaho College
Handbook. This is a book put out by the SBOE listing
all accredited colleges and universities in Idaho. It
even has the ones that Mr. Force listed. But it does
not list NSA.

http://www.idahoboardofed.org/HiEd/HigherEd2005/HigherEdCatalog2005.pdf

Third point of validation, FAFSA lists a code for
every college and university that is either accredited
or approved by the state or an accrediting agency
approved by the US Department of Education. NSA does
not have a code. Students cannot get Federal or State
loans or scholarships for NSA. Check yourself at the
following link:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/FOTWWebApp/FSLookupServlet

Fourth point of validation, every student at NSA must
sign the following statement,

"I understand that New St. Andrew’s College is
registered with the State Board of Education in
accordance with Section 33-2404, Idaho Code. I also
understand that the State Board of Education has not
accredited or endorsed any course of study being
offered by New St. Andrew’s."

Now, assuming that you do not understand what SBOE
“has NOT accredited or endorsed any course” means, if
that is a little bit fuzzy around the edges for you, I
do have another source you can go to.

Fifth source of validation, you can CALL or EMAIL the
SBOE yourself and ask,

An entire list of SBOE members you can call or email.
Aks them, "Is NSA approved by the SBOE to teach higher
academic courses?"

http://www.idahoboardofed.org/contact.asp

A last point of contention is definition of
accrediting: it is means officially to recognize a
organization as having met a standard or criterion to
offer college courses. Accreditation or approval to
teach higher academic courses have the same intended
meaning.

Finally, TRACS is not listed as an agency approved by
the SBOE. These are the only other accrediting
agencies approved in Idaho:
•	Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
•	New England Association of Schools and Colleges
•	North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
•	Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges
•	Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
•	Western Association of Schools and Colleges
They are listed on the SBOE website here:
http://www.idahoboardofed.org/HiEd/HigherEd2005/HigherEdCatalog2005.pdf

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold