[Vision2020] State of Idaho and NSA

Mark Seman FCS at Moscow.com
Sun May 15 22:02:42 PDT 2005

I too have not engaged in this conversation, because I have been out of town
over the weekend.  As the lone dissenting vote on the BOA for this issue, I
felt Joel had exercised reasonable judgement in his ruling.  In addition, I
also feel there is significant ambiguity of the issue that it really needs
to be clarified and resolved by City Council action (and no matter how the
BOA vote turned out, it would most likely go on to City Council.)

The struggle I had the whole evening is what consitituted "similar public or
private institutions."  I felt that because of the grouping of "schools,
commercial schools and educational institutions" in other areas of the code,
there was evidence of similarity.  As well as the explicit exclusion of
potentially construed similar entities under the definition of "educational
institutions."  Also the code does allow the Zoning Administrator to make
judgement to determine if specific uses meet the indended meaning of the
listed uses.

No matter how a regulation is worded, there will always be areas of
ambiguity and the process will take care of those issues.  No single entity
has the right answer until the process is exhausted.  One significant issue
raised at the BOA hearing that is an important consideration for future
zoning revisions, is that maybe educational institutions should be listed as
conditional uses.  This gives the BOA latitude to place reasonable
restrictions on such uses (such as limiting the student/staff/faculty
population, or the building s.f. to a size that reasonably fits the CBD,
etc.)  It also opens the whole process to public input at an earlier stage
than what we just went through.

No zoning ordinance should remain static and without challenge.  It should
be a living document that is current with the times.  I've stated in this
forum before that I do not believe the current zoning ordinace model to be
appropriate for our time.  It is decades old, exclusive, punitive, mostly
prescriptive, and lacking flexibilty in discretion for specific situations.
I do not like it and will continue to help seek improvements being made to
it.  It will never happen quickly nor correctly enough, but significant
forward change needs to happen or else we'll continue to have periodic
hearings and struggle over issues that move us forward at glacial rapidity.

If the interest shown at the last hearing was applied to zoning revisions,
we'd be lightyears ahead.  There needs to be interested and efficient effort
to move Moscow forward, and not continue a struggle towards refrain.  Open
meetings, discretionary action and available review are modes towards a
progressive process.  I hope we can get there.

Mark

Mark Seman, Architect
Heather Seman, Landscape Architect
1404 East 'F' Street  Moscow, Idaho 83843
v 208-883-3276 / f 208-883-0112