[Vision2020] Response to Rose's confusion between Certificate and Accreditation

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 00:52:48 PDT 2005

Ms. Huskey,

You are misunderstanding what this certificate is
representing. This certificate is not the same thing
as academic approval and accreditation by the State
Board of Education. Title 33 Chapter 1 Section 107-06
(a) of Idaho Code states,

“in addition to the powers conferred by chapter 24,
title 33, Idaho
Code;
(a)	maintain a register of courses and programs
offered anywhere in the state of Idaho by
postsecondary institutions”

This “certificate”, is simply identifying NSA as an
institution that offers post secondary courses. It is
not approving of those courses for academic credit.

You are confusing this certificate with this law,

“TITLE 33
                                  EDUCATION
                                  CHAPTER 1
                           STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
    33-114.  CERTIFICATION -- COURSES OF STUDY --
ACCREDITATION. Supervision and control of the
certification of professional education personnel is
vested in the state board. The board shall approve the
program of education of such personnel in all higher
institutions in the state, both public and private,
and shall accredit as teacher training institutions
those in which such programs have been approved.”

The SBOE of education lists all the approved colleges
in the state, both private and public here:

http://www.accessidaho.org/education/suniv.html

NSA cannot be accredited by SBOE because the courses
being taught are not even being taught by teachers
with a master’s degree as has been stated by numerous
other people on this serve list. The SBOE of education
is not going to drop those requirements.

I do recognize that who ever wrote that on the NSA
website is misleading you as to the importance and
significance of the certificate. But then again, I see
that on the UI website all the time too.

But please understand that there is a distinct
difference between getting a certificate that you
exist (Chapter 1 33-107-06(a))  and being accredited
by the SBOE (Chapter 1 33-114)to teach "approved"
courses.

Being accredited and approved by the SBOE to teach
higher education courses for credit are the same
thing. The "OR" simply acknowledges that the
requirements of some nationally organized agencies
match or exceed those set by the SBOE. This is defined
by State Law,

TITLE  33
                                  EDUCATION
                                  CHAPTER 24
                             PROPRIETARY SCHOOLS
    33-2401.  DEFINITIONS . . . .
    (1)  "Accredited" means that a school has been
recognized or approved as meeting the standards
established by an accrediting agency recognized by the
board or the United States department of education.

I really hope this clears up the confusion some of you
are having between what approved by the SBOE or
accrediting agency means. That phrase is not two
different standards, but one describing the same the
accreditation in two different way.

I have never known a Rose without thorns. Ms. Huskey
likes to let me know she is no different. So on a
personal note, no Rose, I am not a know-it-all (maybe
a damn-it-all). I know absolutely nothing about pop
culture, sports, fashion (have you seen the way I
dress?), music, hairstyling and the Bible. So you can
feel free to take this title if you want. I have
always considered myself evidence that, “You can learn
a lot from a dummy”.

Although I never did learn to read or write beyond the
third grade level I did take a few classes in
Political Science and Law. I think I even got a degree
in something, but of course I am not able to read it
like most people educated in public schools.

But more importantly, “I did stay in a Holiday Inn
Express last night.”

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold